1. Seattle Seahawks (1) – On a bye, seeing Harvin getting healthier and awaiting a challenge. Unless they mail it in, they can’t be challenged in a week.
2. Carolina Panthers (2) – On a bye, in heady non-Panther territory. Can they be successful at this level with the pressure? They seem built for playoff success but there are other factors at play for an inexperienced team. Will be fun to watch.
3. San Francisco 49ers (3) – D came out strong and held GB to basically nothing for nearly all the first half then for no reason that I can understand they went flat and let GB surge all over them. They need consistency and need to put this Pack team away because if they let them hang around they might lose. San Fran tried hard to let GB beat them and if not for the last 5 minute drive they would have. If they play this badly against Carolina they will lose by 3 touchdowns.
4. Denver Broncos (4) – Need this bye to get healthier, getting Welker back would be huge for them.
5. New England Patriots (5) – Will be the most interesting team to watch in Division round. Is this team any good? Are they are as good as their record? Who knows?
6. Indianapolis Colts (6) – Where to begin…the Colts have showed once more that turnovers, especially redzone playoff turnovers, are gold. However what is gold also is tackling. The utter lack of competence at tackling had put them in a hole they would be hard pressed to dig out of. Let me give Luck credit for leading this team to another amazing comeback. Well done. OK, now…if that D thinks it can play that bad next week and win they are wrong. The Colts can’t sleep through the first half in the Division round or it all ends for them next week. An ugly if exciting win.
7. San Diego Chargers (8) – Came out with some decent running attacks but Rivers can’t seem to get his passing game working. At the same time there is a huge lack of an efficient pass rush to pressure Dalton. If they let in a TD to start the 3rd they may be in severe trouble. They got the stop they needed and then they used pesky D to take advantage of Bengal mistakes and some excellent use of the run to give them a surprise road win. Can they do this again? They are dangerous but more often dangerous to themselves when they mail it in. Good win.
8. New Orleans Saints (9) – Showing every bit of a dome team out of it’s element in the first half. The D has played tough but the O has played poor and Brees has to stop throwing picks or they are in trouble. I give the Saints full credit for this win. They were the better team on Offense and their D, though decimated late with injuries, was able to do enough to give them their chance to just win. I would like to see this group of road worriers go get their backside spanked again by Seattle and here’s hoping it happens.
9. Green Bay Packers (12) – Terrible start on O and the D was bad between the 10’s but stout in the goal line area for the most part. They are staying in the game and if within 7 in the 4th Q they will have a shot. Green Bay gave their all and battled and battle til the very end but just couldn’t make the stops. A team who’s D was an issue all year lost because their D couldn’t make a stop. Ding Dong the Pack is dead which is happiness for a BEARS Fan.
10. Philadelphia Eagles (10) – The Eagles are shooting themselves in the foot and are keeping a dangerous Saints team in the game and that may come back to haunt them yet. Let the haunting begin. They didn’t play good enough on offense to allow for their D to play as bad as it did and win the game. Close doesn’t count and they need to get a lot better on D or they will be lucky just to be one and done in the playoffs next year (everyone else in their division is awful so they can win it).
11. Kansas City Chiefs (11) – Blew Indy away in the first half without any real dominance. They lost their best offensive weapon almost from the start and then they simply ran their offense. Not being tackled has been their secret weapon. The Chiefs gave all they had and their offense couldn’t do anymore. The D was actually shredded but to be fair it was shredded by injury first. A good effort but fell one point short.
12. Cincinnati Bengals (7) – Solid rush attack, some but not many good throws by Dalton and on and off D got them a slim lead at the half. They need to toughen up their tackling and take the opening kick of the 2nd half for 7 and that would put them on the road to the Division round. They had a shot and blew it. The Bengal D couldn’t deal with the run and Andy Dalton proved once more that turnovers are GOLD. The fumble, the multiple picks…there was nothing that they could do to overcome the turnovers. If I was Cincy I might fire both the HC and the QB and start over fresh twice. This isn’t working and their window will close sooner than they think.
There you have it! As always I love to see every thought, comment, argument or agreement! I will also accept cash, preferably tens and twenties!
13. Arizona Cardinals (8) – D was flat early but the Off came together late to make it a game but in the end they are just a team that is THAT close to playoffs. They could win their division next year. They are that good.
14. Pittsburgh Steelers (14) – Gave their all, veterans know how to perform late in the year when it is on the line. They did all they could to give themselves a shot at the playoffs. Good try. They need to get younger on D in a big way and they need to draft a new QB, Big Ben is Big Old and Battered. Need more help on O too. Rebuild time.
15. Baltimore Ravens (13) – When it came down to it, Flacco proved that turnovers are gold and he can throw picks with the worst of them. An ugly end to a pretty ugly year. They need WR help, and to try to build on what they have on hand…close but not elite by a long shot.
16. Tennessee Titans (22) – A solid performance that will hopefully put and end to the spurious talk that Munchak should be fired…he didn’t hurt Locker and that was what killed this team’s year. All they need to do now is get their QB healthy, draft solidly, add one or two players and they will be wild card at least next season.
17. Dallas Cowboys (17) – How ’bout ‘Dem Cowboys? Couldn’t have happened to a nicer team in the NFC. So much fun to continue to watch Jerry Jones celebrate wildly during games he eventually loses. Smart owners celebrate after a win not after a first down. This team needs a QB, needs a RB who isn’t fragile or a fumbler, needs a WR who is a talent but not a mother beater. Their secondary is horrible. They are lucky Washington and NYG are in their division so they may yet finish 2nd again next year but out of the playoffs. Fire Garrett.
18. St. Louis Rams (15) – Shockingly undisciplined and mistake filled game. A good year of promise ends on a very sour note. They need to decide pretty quick if Bradford is their future or was he a flop. Do they give him zillions or draft a new one and kind of start fresh? They need help at WR too and another left tackle might help Bradford too.
19. Chicago BEARS (16) – Off did all it reasonably could to win the game but the D just isn’t good enough to be playoff capable. They face a ton of contract issues that could and likely will gut this team. They were good enough to be a serious playoff contender but the mass injuries destroyed their D. This may not even be a top 25 team with all the players they can’t re-sign.
20. New York Giants (24) – A sad sack Giant team that pulled out a win for the gipper and for their old coach. They must rebuild. They need a new QB to get ready behind a massively aged Eli and they need to inject talent to a horrible O line and need to add talent to the missing link of a secondary. Years away from playoffs.
21. Buffalo Bills (23) – In a veritable monsoon Buffalo tried but failed. They still need to build on their foundations and are likely 2 years away from contending but they are coming along.
22. Jacksonville Jaguars (18) – They were a team that seemed to have started their offseason before they played their last game. Never in the game. They did play .500 in the last 8 and have some talent but desperately need a franchise QB, need talent who doesn’t use drugs at WR and need lots of help on D. Years away. If they draft Manziel they will be in a media circus of crappy QB play until 2020.
23. Minnesota Vikings (28) – A gutsy last game won in their old dome. This team needs a ton of help. There are a ton of franchise-like QBs coming available and the Vikes need to draft one. They need to get WR help, they need D help, they need O line help. Oh and can your head coach would be what I would do first thing Monday am. (written Sunday night Dec 29)
24. Detroit Lions (20) – Stafford played poorly and the D quit. The self defeaters self defeated themselves again. This team needs to can their head Thug, cut some problem players, draft character, get younger on O and try again. A team that can’t win with who they have because talent with lack of discipline/maturity is no talent at all.
25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (19) – Were never able to make a stop in the first half and were so far behind they could never come back. The D was destroyed and the team needs to start fresh next year. They are talented enough to even surprise some people next year. ((that they fired their coach now may set back any hope this team has for rapid improvement especially if the new guy wants his own QB))
26. New York Jets (26) – A great game by Geno Smith for a change that saved Sexy Rexy’s job and let the season end on a positive. A team that needs to cut #Buttfumble ASAP and start to move forward.
27. Miami Dolphins (25) – FINALLY! This team of dysfunctional bully supporting, gang color wearing scumbags is put to rest. They have to cut management and players and work to bring some respect back to what used to be a classy organization. They should run Ireland out of town on a rail.
28. Atlanta Falcons (29) – I will give them credit for this, they have played great the last 2 weeks. It is a nice way to end a horribly disappointing season. They did everything but win. This is exemplary in how a team with a poor D that wins a lot will fare when facing a tougher schedule the next year. Atlanta needs to spend an offseason continuing to build a porous D and they need to get younger at WR and they need a new TE now and perhaps draft/sign a good backup QB…if Ryan gets hurt this team will go plop.
29. Cleveland Browns (27) – Never were in it, seemed like they were already starting their off season. The total team meltdown and anonymous bitch sessions post game are sad and that the organization is going to fire Chud who simply is guilty of being the face of botched organization decisions? An awful team can’t draft good players…that doesn’t happen and Cleveland is still YEARS away from contending.
30. Washington Redskins (30) – A monsoon ended any slim chance this bad team had of winning their last game. They need to gut the team and start again…not sure if anyone will be able to play on this team with Snyder treating RGIII better than the rest. Shanahan will be fired but who wants to coach there??? A team in super long term turmoil. Oh and this D is just horrid so draft D, draft D and then later DRAFT D.
31. Oakland Raiders (31) – Were blown away from the moment the game started. The D never tried and the O didn’t offer much either until it didn’t matter. This team has some talent. It needs to add more and become more disciplined. It would be a huge mistake to tear this team down. They are on the way up.
32. Houston Texans (32) – JJ Watt and pray for rain…that is the menu for the Texans. This team is loaded…with Crap. Schaub should get a small parade on the way out of town. They need help at QB, WR, RB, TE, LB and DBs…I don’t see playoffs for this team again for at least 2 seasons.