Well been a couple of weeks since I posted about the draft. Thought about doing a whole draft grade for each team but have been busy, tired and actually read one on Bleacher Report that was pretty good (check it out if you need draft grades).
1. Tennessee – traded the pick to NYG
1. NYG – Landon Collins S Bama – This is a solid pick for the Giants. They didn’t have a safety who could play in the NFL and now they have one who is pissed he wasn’t taken in round 1. A very solid pick, smart to trade up to get this one.
2. Tampa – Donovan Smith OT PSU – Well Tampa needed to add to O line and this is an addition. He wasn’t the best one available but he is a big guy and he could be joined at the hip with Jameis for a while. A need pick.
3. Oakland – Mario Edwards jr DE FSU – A pass rush monster who has issues keeping his weight down to good playing level. If he keeps himself at 280 then he will team with Khalil Mack and be a force. If he eats too much of his pay check he could be a washout. A high/low pick and we will know in 6 months if this was good or not.
4. Jacksonville – T.J. Yeldon RB Bama – A great RB but Denard Robinson was a great running back in Jacksonville last year. I think he will be a starter and that is fine but they better keep Robinson busy with the ball or they are pissing away talent there. Just compared to James Starks. If he’s James Starks then Jacksonville just made a bad pick.
5. NYJ – Devin Smith WR OSU – A fast WR who is a deep threat. He just needs to not be a second round bust like their last 2nd round WR pick. This guy needs to grow and be a force but we will see. He will give the Jets someone to play opposite Decker (the trainwreck) and Marshall. Good pick potentially.
6. Washington – Preston Smith LB/DE MissSt – The Skins need a lot of help on a terrible D and anything he can contribute will make them better. He can tackle and that is a lost skill in Washington. A good pick.
7. CHICAGO BEARS – Eddie Goldman DT FSU – That is a good pick for the BEARS. This big guy is the lesser version of Danny Shelton but he will give them a force in the middle and will stuff the run and may become a major headache for Eddie Lacy. A terrific pick for a team that couldn’t stop the run until it reached the endzone.
8. Tennessee – (from the NYG) – Dorial Green-Beckham WR Miss – this guy is the red flag king who hasn’t played college ball for like 2 years because he was massively kicked out of college. He has the world of talent and could be a super star or he could be Josh Gordon. We will watch and see.
9. Carolina (they got the pick in a trade with STL) – Devin Funchess WR Mich – Holey Feesholies they massively traded up to get this guy? They have Kelvin Benjamin and now they have two of them and they kinda needed an O line LT but why would Carolina want to draft talent that meets a need. Is there a grade under F to give a team?
10. Atlanta – Jalen Collins CB LSU – a good corner who will immediately help the Falcons bad secondary. This is a very good pick as the Falcon D sucked last year. This guy can cover and is a good pick.
11. Houston – Benardrick McKinney LB MissSt – hmmmm he was a good LB but not the best available. He will help the already solid Texan D. He may not be able to cover pass play but he is a tackler and that makes the Texans a tougher D but odd to trade up for this.
12. New Orleans – Hau’oli Kikaha DE Wash – he is a sack specialist who can’t really stop the run but he can knock down Matt Ryan and Caaaaam. This is likely the best pick New Orleans has made so far this year.
13. Minnesota – Eric Kendricks LB UCLA – a very solid pick and this guy will start right away and he will be a force and the Vikings D lost them games last year that they had in the bag. This will help them hold leads.
14. San Fran – Jaquiski Tartt S Samford – They need help in the secondary. He is a mean player but he may not be very good at coverage or such but he can hit. How flagged will he be? I am unsure if this pick is going to be sweet or just sour.
15. Philadelphia – Eric Rowe CB Utah – Eagles traded a ton to get him and he can play coverage and may be a value. I am uncertain about his ability but he may be a Kelly ‘trade up and reach to get a need filled’ which he expressly said teams wreck drafts when they do that. We will watch this.
16. San Diego – Denzel Perryman LB Mia – another excellent LB and he brings a bundle of energy and he may not be 6’5 but he can be a force on D and that just adds good depth to a strength of the Bolts.
17. Kansas City – Mitch Morse C Miss – Mike Mayock likes him a lot and that is enough for me. A good pick for a line that needed center help. Mayock says 10 year starter so good pick.
18. Buffalo – Ronald Darby DB FSU – a very good first pick for the Bills. Darby is a talented Corner who can give Buffalo a solid player. This gives them a decent nickel CB who will make an immediate impact. a solid talent to take with their first pick.
19. Cleveland – Nate Orchard DE/LB Utah – This is a tough guy on the field who will be a force every down. He ain’t pretty but he plays like a tackler. The Browns D needs to be fully rebuilt and that is a great addition to that team. A very nice pick.
20. Miami – Jordan Phillips DT Okla – this big guy is a boom or bust DT. He sometimes takes plays off and sometimes plays like a monster. If the thug Suh can inspire him to try hard every down (and probably play like a goon) then he could be a great pick. If he can’t care, he will be a bum.
21. Cincinnati – Gotta love Ickey Woods doing the Shuffle!!!! Jake Fisher OT Ore – He is a top O line talent and he will start right away. He is a solid player who will go right in and play well for them. A really good pick and he helps the Bengals right away.
22. Detroit – Ameer Abdullah RB Neb – He is a great pick for here. He will work excellently into the Lion lineup. Their rush offense has been a mess since Barry Sanders left. A super draft pick and he will pay immediate dividends and this makes Detroit better (as a Bears fan I am not too impressed).
23. Baltimore – Maxx Williams TE Minn – They traded up to grab a great catching TE. Williams is a force at TE and was the best one in the draft. I thought Baltimore had 2 Tight ends but perhaps they have pared down that since the season ended. He is a good pick and they stole him from Pittsburgh which makes Baltimore happy.
24 Pittsburgh – Senquez Golson CB Ole Miss -He is a talented but short DB. The Steelers are desperately in need for anyone who can play corner and not be 35 years old. He will bring youth, he can play D and he is quick but if he can’t jump he will be beaten by bigger receivers. It was a need and he will help some but can he play taller than he is?
25. St. Louis – Robert Havenstein OT Wisc – a big body RT that helps add strength and size to the Rams O line. He will be a decent addition and will play a good RT. The line is getting better with this pick. Now again, if Foles isn’t the answer then this is just more nothing.
26. Arizona – Marcus Golden DE Miss – He is another Missouri DE who rushes the passer. He goes hard and plays hard like every Missouri D lineman does. I will see if this guy can do it. He could fill a need on the Card D but we will have to watch him to judge this.
27. Denver – Ty Sambrailo OT Col St – Well Denver adds a big body to the O line. One wonders if he can be taught how to chop block? He could build into being a LT one day but we will see if he can just be Manny Ram’s replacement.
28. Dallas – Randy Gregory DE Neb – Well someone had to take him. He has great talent and can be a fierce pass rusher. He is a pretty seriously drug addicted young man who makes really bad decisions. Now Dallas has kept the Mother Beater Dez clean and they signed Girl friend beater Hardy and now they have someone with terrible decision making skills. He could be super or he will implode.
29. Tampa Bay – Ali Marpet C Hobart – WHAT A GREAT PICK! Marpet is a hard working guy who can step in and be a starting Center right away. He will be a ten year starter and this is the best trade up of the draft to get them a super solid O lineman.
30. Green Bay – Quinten Rollins CB Mia (Oh) – he is a solid basketball player but he does have good hands and he will help again the pretty awful Packer secondary and this makes them better and that isn’t good for either the BEARS or the Vikings.
31. Seattle – Frank Clark DE Mich – He has red flags due to off the field issues but he is a solid player but now it becomes a question of whether Pete Carroll can fix it. This is their first pick and it could be a great one or a total bust. My money is on Carroll.
32. New England – Jordan Richards S Stan – They reach for a 4th rounder who perhaps the Pats think they can coach him up to being a talent. They lost a lot of vet secondary and now Belicheck gets a kid to work with.
THIRD ROUND – thoughts on only key players or BEARS/Vikes/GMEN/Steeler/Raider picks
Raiders first pick TE Clive Walford from Mia – a good receiver who has issues blocking. He is a talented pass catcher and he could team with Rivera (sp) and be a force, as long as he doesn’t have to block!
Seattle traded up to draft WR Tyler Lockett KS and he is a super fast but small wide out. He can give Wilson a nice weapon to combine with those he already had and can be a ST weapon too. A really nice pick and a good trade up.
Houston Texans took Jaelen Strong WR ASU and that is a solid talent and gives them a good 2nd WR to team with their over rated #1. He is a young talent who will get better and better. Might be a steal here and a good pick to trade up for. Nice pick Houston.
Chicago BEARS – Hroniss Grasu C Ore – Superb pick call by that lovely girl who is suffering from bone cancer who’s a BEARS Fan! God bless you hon. A OL player who started for years in Oregon and the BEARS have been working on getting an O line that can protect their rotten QB and this is another piece to help give Cutler the peace of mind to comfortably toss picks when the game is on the line.
Atlanta really needed D so they took Tevin Coleman RB from Indiana – Steven Jackson is old so getting a young one to start up behind him is good but not a big need but a nice pick (this team did have a large number of RBs on their roster so will he be #5 or #6 or #2?)
NYG – Owamagbe Odighizuwa DE UCLA – The G-men got them a pass rusher. He has an edge but his pass rush is raw. If he can stay healthy he could learn from JPP and this might give them another good weapon.
New Orleans – Garrett Grayson QB Col St. – now the Saints have a kid who can sit on the bench for 2 seasons while Drew Brees slowly retires. He should be starting for NO in 2017 and that is a good game plan. A pretty good pick and this could end the question about future of Saints QB.
Cleveland – Duke Johnson RB Mia – he is a good young RB but Cleveland had a couple of good young RB and now they have 3. I understand the grabbing of talent but they better hope he can catch passes because they need someone to catch them (they need someone to throw them too) Crowell and West were superb as rookies but it is what it is.
SF grabbed Eli Harold LB Virginia – a good pick that helps a D that needs a ton of help.
Cincy drafts Tyler Kroft TE from Rutgers – it is interesting how Cincy has been taking TEs in rounds like this for about a decade and it never seems to work. One would think that eventually one of them has to work!
Arizona drafts David Johnson RB Northern Iowa (not the Governor General of Canada) and he is a bigger back that will give Ellington a nice complement. Good pick for Zona, a good pick up.
Pittsburgh – Sammy Coates WR Aub – interesting, he is a good WR with speed and height but the Steelers have lots of offense and precious little D. He will help them continue to score but did they need this now?
Minnesota – Danielle Hunter LSU DE – this is a great player who is just a year or so too young to be ready for the NFL. The Vikings do have some depth on DE and now they can simply let him learn and kinda redshirt.
ST. Louis – grabs QB Sean Mannion Ore St and that could be the QB of the future for the Rams if Foles pans out and then he can step in in 2 years. Interesting pick. Wonder if Stl will allow him to win the job on Foles like Sea did with Wilson?
Cincy had the last pick and they took Paul Dawson LB TCU – I had this kid going round 1. What a super last 3rd round pick. He is a tackling machine. He will bring a load of talent and if he can stay inspired he can be a linebacking force. A really amazing pick.
I must say the 2 rounds tonight were draining so there will be no 4th thru 7 round reports.
Round 1 NFL Draft Thoughts
1. Tampa Bay Bucs – Jameis Winston QB FSU – Well TB says they are comfy with him and they say they have vetted his off the field antics. I say he may yet have a felony before he has an NFL TD. Unless they keep this kid locked in a safe room he is always a danger to be himself. He has talent tho he does throw too many picks, is a touch too out of shape and I have seen more than one image from his film showing him with fear in his eyes. Tampa hopes this kid is their franchise. Good luck Tampa, don’t let him out of your sight.
2. Tennessee Titans – Marcus Mariota QB Ore – I really wouldn’t have drafted him here since they had Zack Mettenburger. If I am a team looking for a QB I would be calling for Mettenburger right away. Mariota could be the next Russell Wilson but I am a touch hesitant to be super excited by his mild mannered way he carries himself. He seems very laid back and that is not good for a leader. He will bear watching.
3. Jacksonville Jags – Dante Fowler jr DE Flor – A superb pick for Jacksonville. This kid will be a pass rush force for the Jags and they haven’t had a great rusher in a very long time. He has fire, he has the ability to jet through a line and nail the QB. An absolutely brilliant pick and this kid could be the face of the D in Jacksonville for a decade.
4. Oakland Raiders – Amari Cooper WR Bama – A great new Raider. The likely best WR on Oak since Tim Brown. This weapon will give the Raider O a real chance to succeed and add him to that team and now they have triplets with that super young RB and Derek Carr. A fantastic pick and one that will make the Raiders better instantly.
5. Wash Redskins – Brandon Scherff OL Iowa – Well that is one mudder humping surprise. The Skins have a ton of needs and they need help at the O line but they could have gotten a just about as good as one in the second round. This is a reach, a head scratcher and truly a really Washington Redskin pick. I will leave this with a hunh????
6. NY Jets – Leonard Williams DT USC – He is a super pick, he has nowhere to play in NY. They may have to trade Richardson or something. This is a pick they didn’t need to make and he doesn’t fulfill even a hint of a need. I know Bowles is a defensive coach but he mighta done better with an edge rusher. This is a head scratcher in terms of he isn’t needed on the Jets. I am a touch muddled by this one too.
7. Chicago BEARS – Kevin White WR WV – a solid need pick for my BEARS. Of course they didn’t need a WR until they traded Brandon Marshall for a bag of potato chips. He and Jeffrey will be a dynamic combo until Chicago trades Alshon for another bag of chips. A great pick that will put the offense back to where it was last year…a great 2 way RB, 2 Super WR, a quality TE and a bum for a QB. This may not make Chicago any better as long as the cancer of Cutler is on the team.
8. Atlanta Falcons – Vic Beasley DE Clem – A superb need pick for Atlanta. They have added FA pass rushers for almost half a decade and not one has been decent. This kid may just be the tonic the moribund Falcon D needs. I think they will be more effective a D now with this addition.
9. NY Giants – Ereck Flowers OT Miami – A big need but a bit of a reach that follows the reach by Wash who took the G-man player. I think this shows how dedicated NY was to taking a guy to fill their need but I wonder if this isn’t also a need they couldn’t have met in the 2nd round. I think he will help, especially if they put on right tackle to replace the tackling dummy who played there last season. Eli must be happy.
10. Stl. Rams – Todd Gurley RB Georgia – Despite the torn ACL this guy is gonna be a super addition. Now Stl. didn’t need a RB since they had at least one good one but now they have depth and Mason might be a nice #2. Does this make the Rams a contender? The answer to that lays solely on the shoulders of Nick Foles. If Foles is for real then this pick is fine and all is happy. If there is an issue still at QB then it doesn’t matter who they picked here. Interesting pick but now great players are falling to mid pick teams and that must make them happy.
11. Minnesota Vikings – Trae Waynes CB MSU – A Brilliant pick. The Vikes now have two solid CB along with a great safety and the Vikings are building a very good defensive secondary. They really had to add this player and this will allow the front 7 to stay home and be more effective against the run and rushing the QB. A very good pick and now Minnesota has to build on this with the next couple of picks.
12. Cleveland – Danny Shelton DT Wash – A great pick for Cleveland here. How can Cleveland mess this up? They generally pick gems and they turn out to be made of glass. A superb addition to the sad Brown Run D and he will just make a force out of the front of the Brown line. He will be the best D player on a Brown team that needs great players.
13. New Orleans – Andrus Peat OT Stan – The Saints certainly needed O line help and now they have added a good one. A fair time to pick an Oline but I think I am more than shocked that he is the third one off at the 13th spot. He doesn’t provide tiny QB with a weapon but perhaps some peace of mind. They need to do something to give New Orleans a way to score TDs.
14. Miami Dolphins – DeVante Parker WR Louisville – A thrilled Fin HQ found this talent slide this far. He gives them the best WR they now have on their team. He will be a great weapon and he will make the other two better. This gives the Dolphins a legit pass offense. A surprise he slid to here and a great pick for Miami.
15. => San Fran – traded this pick to SD.
15. San Diego – Melvin Gordon RB Wisc. – The Bolts badly badly needed a RB and now they have a feature back for the first time really since the halcyon days of Tomlinson. Gordon brings a forceful back who will give the ancient Phil Rivers a bit more of a balanced O and will mean quite a difference to San Diego. They may be able to hold a lead now since they have a back who can carry the rock.
16. Houston – Kevin Johnson CB Wake – a good player and he helps with holes that Houston has suffered with forever. He will go in and start from day one. The Texans have a potentially awe inspiring front 7 with JJ and Clowney. Adding Johnson gives them at least one Corner who can cover someone. Last year they had no one who could cover anyone. A useful pick for Houston.
17. => San Diego – traded this pick to SF along with a 4th in 2015 and 5th in 2016.
17 San Francisco – Arik Armstead DE Oregon – The Niners have basically no one on D anymore with retirements, thugs and druggies. He will be the start of the return to decent play. He may not be fully impactful for a couple of years but by then the aged Niners will be more retired too. I don’t think this makes SF any better than the worst team in the NFC West but they have one good defender now.
18. Kansas City – Marcus Peters CB Wash – With the loss of Eric Berry to illness the Chief secondary became ordinary. Now if Peters is clean off the field he could be a solid Corner and that may be the ingredient needed to make KC’s d more formidable again. They haven’t been consistently good on D for a couple of years!
19. Cleveland – Cameron Erving C FSU – Well now that is an interesting pick. Cleveland needs help on the o line and this guy will help right away. I don’t think they have a QB or a RB or a WR or a TE or a decent CB2 but I guess it had to start somewhere and Cleveland’s two good picks here in the first round really depend on what Cleveland does later before this draft can be judged.
20. Philadelphia – Nelson Agholor WR USC – He is a solid WR and fills a need on the Eagle team. Since Philly has dumped every decent WR they had in the last couple of years they needed to add one somewhere. He has speed and that will give the Eagles some special team ability that they haven’t had since DeSean Jackson played there. Good pick.
21. Cincinnati – Cedric Ogbuehi OT A&M – The Bengals need help. They have had issues on O line and this kid can grow to become better. The Bengals need to develop more talent at QB and it is possible that Dalton will be a bit more relaxed and less pick prone with a better O line in front of him. An ok pick but not a brilliant one.
22. Pittsburgh – Bud Dupree DE Ken – He is a great pick for this spot. Dupree was a potential top ten pick but somehow fell. Pittsburgh does have a need for a pass rush specialist but they really needed to get a secondary help here. A good pick up but doesn’t really meet the biggest need. Will have to see what the 2nd round brings.
23. Detroit – => traded pick to Denver
23. Denver – Shane Ray DE Miss – His college team may not be the only thing that is a Miss. He has judgement issues with choices. He seems like Michael Sam and that makes me wonder about how good are pass rushers from Missouri or are they just scheme dependent. Denver needs help with pass rush and pot is legal in Denver.
24. Arizona – D.J. Humphries OT Flor – a solid pick for the Cards and they need help to protect Palmer behind center. I had thought this man was the #2 O line and for him to slide that far is great for Arizona. This team’s line is better now and they can then use other picks to help other needs. Good pick.
25. Carolina – Shaq Thompson LB Wash – a bit of a reach here for a team that has no holes at LB. A head scratcher that moves to the top of the head scratcher list. I don’t see this as meeting a need or picking the best available. I frankly can’t understand why they picked this guy.
26. Baltimore – Breshad Perriman WR UCF – A great pick that fills a huge need on the Ravens. They needed to get fast on WR and they need someone who can help catch those Flacco long bombs and this guy fills that void. Torrey Smith dropped as many as he caught and that may be an issue for Perriman. Still a good pick.
27. Dallas – Byron Jones CB UConn – A speedy talented Corner who can help the horrid Cowboy secondary. They have been abysmal in coverage and this guy will bring speed to keep up with the fast WR who regularly tear Dallas new ones every week. He isn’t a pick specialist but knocking them down doesn’t hurt. Good pick.
28. Denver – => traded pick to Detroit plus 5th pick 2015, 5th 2016 and G Manny Ramirez who is just being Manny.
28. Detroit – Laken Tomlinson G Duke – an odd sort of pick for Detroit here. They needed O line help but this guy isn’t really a 1st round pick but he can guard Stafford so Stafford can toss more picks with less pressure against him. Seems like a Same Ol Sorry Ass Lion pick to grab a 3rd rounder in the first round.
29. Indianapolis – Phillip Dorsett WR Mia – This kid is fast, super fast. Can he catch everything or will just be an addition much in the like of TY dropton? He needs to be more consistent at catching but he is another weapon for Luck. That may not make them any better in the areas they need to fix. Wasn’t the O’s fault New England kicked the crap out of them every single time they met.
30. Green Bay – Damarious Randall S ASU – Green Bay needed secondary help and this player gives them some of it. He can cover a receiver out of the slot and that will help the sometimes questionable CB on Green Bay cover better. A fair pick but perhaps they missed on which Safety they should have picked.
31. New Orleans – Stephon Anthony LB Clem – a late 1st reach for NO and he may not be the help they think they got. He may start fast but he could be a project and it will remain to be seen how great he can be. Why pass on Malcolm Brown one wonders. A ho hum pick.
32. New England – Malcolm Brown DT Tex – a fantastic pick. That this top 15 talent fell to 32 for no reason. He will be a force on their front 7 and will help stifle opposing O’s. The Pat D just got better and he could be a star. Fantastic last pick.
There you have it! Was a tough write up while being so ill but if I can’t sleep I can type on a laptop. As always I would love any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements!
What does everyone think of round 1? Round 2 and 3 thoughts tomorrow!
MR N the BEARS Fan