1. Green Bay Packers (1) – The Pack have managed to have the lead at the half. The Good is that Aaron Rodgers threw a pick at home for the first time in a long time and that means he’s just a normal QB so people can shut up about him now. The Pack needs to keep the D pushing to hold down a game Ram squad. Rodgers over came TWO picks to lead his team to what was a pretty simple victory. To win this game that easily and turn it over too shows a solid team effort. Good win.
2. Denver Broncos (2) – Denver is having great trouble dealing with the fast Oakland O and Peyton is having trouble moving the ball on the ground or in the air. If they aren’t careful, they could lose this one today. The Broncos got very little O but they got some decent special teams and a key pick six and they won again. If the O can ever get it going…but that clock is ticking.
3. Carolina Panthers (3) – Evidently you can spell disrespected ‘C-a-r-o-l-i-n-a’. While perfect on the bye, the Panthers were virtually left off every list of undefeated contender. They have a great D and an O that is getting the job done. They get the best linebacker in the NFL back in Luke Kuechly. Ignore this team at your peril.
4. Atlanta Falcons (4) – The Falcons have had trouble getting the ball down the field and Ryan has turned the ball over twice already. A pretty poor effort and I can’t help but think Atlanta is mailing it in a bit. I have to give Atlanta a little credit. They mailed it in for most of the game and then, after turning it over and creating gold 3 times Matty Ice got it done. Not a lot of credit for an ugly win but it’s a win.
5. Arizona Cardinals (5) – About as good as a start as they could hope for. Solid O, super D, golden turnovers given to them on a platter and they blew out the Lions for 30 minutes. Only prevent D can make this close now. Prevent D couldn’t stop the flood of turnovers that quickly turned this into a laugher. A great win over a terrible team. The return of Ellington is heartening. Let’s see them do it against a winning team next.
6. New England Patriots (6) – Pat using D, ok O and every cheating way they can to get out into a small lead. The Pats D is covering Dallas like they know what plays are being called. Oh, they probably do. The Pats just rolled over the Cowboys with a passing O and good D. They won it nicely and that means they are still undefeated.
7. Cincinnati Bengals (8) – The Bengals lack luster effort on D seems out of character for the 4-0 team. The Bengal O is trying to keep them in the game but there seems to be a lack of effort on all sides for the team. The Bengals O kept battling and came all the way back from 17 down to tie and and then won it in OT. A gutsy win to keep a battling Bengals squad undefeated.
8. Indianapolis Colts (10) – The Colts showed heart and desire that is rarely shown on a short week. Hasselbeck who’s 40 and badly ill all week managed to suck it up and he ran a brilliant offense. The D had issues early but came on late and were the reason they salted the game away. It was a brilliant and gutsy win, in the division, for a team fighting for its season while trying to get healthy. To be 3-1 now with no Luck for 2 games…amazing. This team shows it has heart and good leadership.
9. Pittsburgh Steelers (15) – What can be said about this game? Vick struggled for well more than 45 minutes to get anything out of the offense. Then they picked off Rivers and not a soul but the QB even considered tackling the Steeler and they had 7. Then a Big Ben drawn up play led to 7 more. With time running out (faster than even time could run) Tomlin called a gutsy wild cat play and LeVeon Bell drove to a win with 18 seconds left (or 0 by the way they counted time in San Diego). A great win for Pittsburgh as they are showing how a team battles when their starting QB is hurt *Dallas? Dallas? DALLAS????*
10. Buffalo Bills (16) – A game of D and precious little O. Shut out nearly the whole half by Tennessee makes one question the validity of the Buffalo’s O. Evidently they can’t rely on the next man up at RB and WR. They are missing their weapons and their O suffers because of it. Decent D so far. The Bills D kept this game close and in the end, Tyrod Taylor took it upon himself and won the game. The D even made a nice stop in the end. I think this was a nice win after a poorly played first half. A very nearly must win that they got.
11. New York Jets (12) – On the bye, good time for them to get healthy and ready for a long second part of the season. They are playing much better than expected and it will be interesting to see if they can keep it up.
12. Minnesota Vikings (13) – On the bye. The Vikings are starting to roll and the offense is starting to gel. Had they not lost an inexcusable game to open the year the Vikes might be making Green Bay look over their shoulder already.
13. Philadelphia Eagles (23) – Bradford has brought on a wall of boos with a key end zone pick and he is barely able to get his team out to a 3-point lead at the half. OK D so far but the O is struggling again. The Eagles really turned it on in the second half and rolled over the Saints. By a large margin, this was the best offensive performance of the year for Philly. Before we celebrate, let’s see them do it again.
14. San Diego Chargers (11) – The Chargers slept through the first 3+ quarters and had a 4-point lead. Rivers was in the midst of a good drive when he threw a pick and then the Steeler started to run the pick back. The receivers decided it wasn’t their business and started to consider where to go for dinner. The O line thought running on a hot night in San Diego wasn’t good for them. Phil Rivers did try to run down the Steeler but he was the only one. The Steeler actually slowed down and jogged 20 odd yards in. I have never seen a team quit like that. Abominable behavior. The Chargers battle back and got a lead again. The home team side tried to help by running 18 seconds off the clock. Then the Charger D had to make one stop to win and they couldn’t and they lost. This in the end was an ugly loss.
15. Seattle Seahawks (7) – The Seahawks O line has been playing it’s best so far early in this game. A number of times a very questionable first quarter O line has been dominating against the first quarter best D line. The Seahawks need to keep the pressure up and they might steal one on the road. The Seahawks put the game virtually out of reach with a 17-point lead in the second half. Then the unthinkable happened. What used to be a great D collapsed and allowed 17 unanswered points in regular time and three more in OT. The Legion of Doom is now the Legion of Crap. A terrible loss by a now simply ordinary team.
16. St. Louis Rams (9) – The Rams are battling in Green Bay. They picked off Rodgers, which is a great thing and will shut up a lot of people. They are having trouble keeping GB O in check and Foles is turning the ball over in a golden fashion way too much. A cleaner second half is needed to have a shot at this game. The Rams never got it going and couldn’t play catchup. Foles kept creating golden turnovers and they never were in this game. Another poor effort and a bad loss by the league’s schizo team.
17. Dallas Cowboys (14) – Good Cowboy D keeping pressure on Brady. The O can’t get anything done in the first half and will need a new plan to make it happen today. Dallas is now in a deep hole. Losing badly at home to New England makes them winless since Romo went down. Having a good pass rush means very little when down by 3 TDs. An ugly loss by a team losing their place in the division and 2 more losses and their playoff hopes may sink too.
18. Cleveland Browns (24) – The Browns seem completely out of this game. They have little drive and the O seems to have no excitement. If only they had a spark they could call upon to inspire the O like a Manziel or something. Guess they will just keep looking like crap. The game is practically over at the half. The Browns showed amazing heart and battled back from the brink and took advantage of terrible prevent D and got the game tied. They then played a brilliant OT and won a game. This is the kind of win that might now turn the page for Cleveland. A great, great win.
19. New York Giants (18) – The Giants seemed to have decided early that they didn’t have to try to beat SF and that almost came back to haunt them. The Giants are not good enough to mail it in on anyone. They struggled to move the ball and struggled to play D. By late in the game it looked like they would just lay down and lose it. Eli then took it upon himself and drove for a late game winner. An ugly win by an ugly team that is now favored to win the NFC LEAST.
20. Washington Redskins (20) – The Redskins D has been playing really well for the first half and have been able to hold down what has been a pretty prolific Falcon O. Cousins did offer a golden turnover so the lead by Washington is small but it is a moral victory so far. I cannot give Kirk Cousins enough credit for the game he played. When challenged late by Matt Ryan he answered it with amazing drive after drive to give his team the shot to win. All they needed was A D to make a stop. Somehow. They couldn’t. It really seems like nothing has changed in Washington since RGIII’s rookie year. Until the QB plays solid D no one else seems to. The OT pick 6 is not the point, the bad D cost them the game.
21. Kansas City Chiefs (17) – Very little effort so far by the Chiefs but they are comfortably out in front and could have this game put away early in the second half. How bad are the Chiefs today? Their vaunted D let the BEARS come all the way back. With the game on the line, Alex Smith actually threw a great ball and his WR so badly tried to catch it that they lost the game. A shuddering thud of a loss that could derail their entire season. It was THAT bad of a loss.
22. Baltimore Ravens (19) – Solid game by the Ravens on both O and D. The only bad seems to be a missed FG in the first half-otherwise Baltimore is in control and having their way in this game. The Ravens thought it was over and never gave it a second thought. Their prevent D let Cleveland back in the game and when it came time to turn it on again they could barely force OT and then they played a poor OT and down they went. A very ugly loss.
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (29) – Winston is playing the best game of his pro career. Doug Martin is an unstoppable weapon. The Bucs D is playing all right. They are in the best position to win a game at the half they have been this year. The Bucs O was finally working. Jameis Winston took 5 games to figure it out and he had it going today. The D played ok but Winston led his team to a nice victory. Way to go kid.
24. Chicago BEARS (28) – The BEARS have very little talent and have managed to get a limited amount of O so far. The D is struggling to hold down the Chiefs. Only down by 11 or so at the half, they will be lucky if the game doesn’t get away from them in the 2nd half. Well color this BEAR fan shocked. Jay Cutler took the Bears, down by 14 and led them all the way back and won the game. I won’t say he isn’t still a bum but that was a nice win by the BEARS. Way to go guys! Two in a row, I never expected that!
25. Oakland Raiders (21) – A great start for Oakland. Flashy offense and pesky D and they have a short lead and are pretty much in control of this game at the half. Oakland lost control, missed 2 key FGs and then Carr threw a game losing pick 6 and they lost a key division matchup. This almost certainly kills any hope Oakland had at being relevant in the division this year.
26. Houston Texans (22) – The Texans showed no heart and little desire and that kind of sad sack approach to football is rarely shown on a short week. O’Brien did it again by switching QBs mid-stream. Well over 100 yards in penalties that put the game out of reach. They have one WR who eventually will be covered so that will be it for their offense. Not having a leader on the team destroys the team’s identity. This team has no heart and no leadership and it’s now an open question if they can win another game. Terrible.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (25) – The Jags have had a lot of trouble on D and Bortles turned the ball over in a golden fashion and cost them 7. They are down and it is an open question if they can come back in this game. Bortles got it going in the second half and basically matched TB point for point but they did that down one score and their D couldn’t make any stops and they lost. Good O, bad D and costly golden turnovers.
28. Tennessee Titans (26) – The TItans have managed only 3 points or so but the D is pitching a shutout. I can’t see the D keeping that up and the O should score something. They are really struggling in the first half. Mariota battled against a tough D all day and almost did enough to win the game. The D didn’t have answer to a mobile QB and Tennessee lost a close one. A tough loss.
29. New Orleans Saints (27) – The Saints are not having much luck getting the O to work but the D is off to a good start in the first half. It will all be on Brees if they Saints are to make this happen. So much for the good start of the D. I am betting Sean Payton had some words for Ryan the other after nearly allowing the world’s most dysfunctional O to put up an almost 40 burger. Brees had no answer to the stream of scores allowed. The Saints showed just how bad they can play in this loss.
30. San Francisco 49ers (32) – The Niners came out with a bit of energy and were happy to face a team going through the motions. When not a whiff of pass rush appeared the nervous Colin Crapernick was able to relax and move the ball. The D made the odd stop and kept the game within reach. By late in the 4th quarter the Niners actually had a lead and looked like they might pull off a win. In the end, their D couldn’t make the stop they needed and they lost a close one but they are no longer the worst team in the NFL. At least this week.
31. Miami Dolphins (31) – On the bye, a terrible team who canned another coordinator during the bye. Will their new feisty coach inspire a new attitude and bring about a team that cares. I wait to see.
32. Detroit Lions (30) – Trying hard to be the worst team in the NFL they turned it over 4 times in first 6 possessions and that is almost as bad as it can be. The team plays to lose and are doing a good job of that so far. Stafford threw 3 golden picks and finally was pulled for Dan ‘I don’t know what the end line in the end zone means’ Orlovsky. An ugly game played by now who is officially the WORST team in the NFL.
As always, I love all thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements. I appreciate someone reading my views. I would also offer my analysis work to ESPN as some of theirs need help or I will take cash, preferably tens and twenties!
MR N the BEARS (and Blue Jays) Fan