1. Denver Broncos (1) – The Broncos have been uninspiring at offense but the D has kept them in it and a late pick 6 *pure gold* has then nicely out in front with not much left to play. They just need to hold on to be 2-0. The Bronco D just put the game on ice with another defensive TD. A great D with a mediocre offense and that is enough for them to be undefeated so far. I guess I have to see them lose before they fall in the poll.
2. New England Patriots (3) – Pats tearing up the Fish early and this could be over by the half. Blowing Miami out in handy fashion but the injury to Garoppolo could be significant in the next 2 weeks. They may yet be in trouble unless Belicheck is even smarter than I think he is. The Pats turned to the ground and ran and ran and held on to just sneak out the win. If Jimmy G is out on Thursday then they are in serious doo doo against Houston.
3. Houston Texans (6) – Good first drive killed by a Red zone turnover which is solid gold. The Texans are struggling to get a lot of points and the D isn’t what it is supposed to be so far. They don’t have this in the bag yet. The Texans D controlled the game from that point on and Brock O did just enough to get the Texans a good win. The Texans are doing their part to be in the hunt in a competitive AFC South.
4. Minnesota Vikings (10) – A fantastic game played by the Vikes. Solid D just set the tone from the first quarter on. Sam Bradford didn’t blow the doors off but he was excellent for just 6 days practice. He made long throws, stretched the field, kept the ball moving and even threw 2 tds. The loss of AP doesn’t actually hurt the Vikes at all. He has been largely ineffective when he played and anyone can get 30 yards be it McKinnon or Asiata. The Vikes are going to be fine with that D and Bradford and that D. What a super win by the best team in the division by far.
5. Arizona Cardinals (7) – In control from the start with superb offense and excellent defense. Palmer has shredded for TDs. He did make mistakes but got away with them, which was lucky. Excellent D has destroyed Tampa and this is, was and will be a laugher. A great, easy win for Arizona.
6. Pittsburgh Steelers (9) – Weather having an impact, a tight battle to start and the Steelers take an early lead. The Steelers D is impressive. Their young CB Burns really stepped up to beat AJ Green to a TD. A pretty good half but they need more O. The Steelers used a great run game and overcame some weather aided turnovers to pull out a gutsy division win. A hard fought one that puts them in the early driver seat in the AFC North.
7. Carolina Panthers (8) – Caaaam can’t throw picks and expect good results. The Panthers seem to be dominating the game in all but a wide score. If the game proceeds like this then I would expect Carolina to put this away. The Panthers pulled away and put this game away. It was sloppy with turnovers galore but they got an ugly win to start the turn around on a w.
8. Green Bay Packers (2) – The Packers tried to come out and play typical Packer ball and Aaron Rodgers found he ran into a purple wall. Stopped time and again early the Pack could barely manage to get anything going. Only when a bad penalty gave them field position did they finally break through. As the game wore on Rodgers had no answer for the Vikes D and he was sacked, pummelled and picked. The Packers were outmuscled and overwhelmed by the best team in the NFC North…the Vikings.
9. Cincinnati Bengals (4) – Struggling to get offense working early. The Bengal D is showing its stuff and that is keeping this close as their O is just not getting it done early. Cincy fell too far behind to be able to fight all the way back. They got within 1.5 possessions but couldn’t finish and one has to wonder about the veracity of the Bengal D after the first two games.
10. Baltimore Ravens (14) – Getting slammed by the Browns early. Are Baltimore really as bad as I thought they were in the preseason? Well here comes the Ravens. They have stormed back and are now battling and I will not be surprised if they win this one in the 2nd half. The Ravens put this game away in the 2nd half and are a pretty surprising 2-0 but again I have some real doubts about how good this team is.
11. New York Giants (20) – The G-men shut out early by a bad D, makes one scratch one’s head. I am dumbfounded how this game is a low scoring thing. How are the Giants not taking apart this bad D? What will the 2nd half bring? The Giants had to fight tooth and nail to just be in the spot to pull out a late win. They are a pretty lucky 2-0 and although they are leading the East they are not really classy and I need to see the O work after stumbling against a BAD Saint D.
12. New York Jets (16) – The Jets showed a lot last night and the only impressive parts were the W, Forte’s performance and Brandon Marshall getting up off the deck. Revis is done, Fitzpatrick is the only QB who can be held to one TD and it be said he was Namath-esque (I credit ESPN.com for that stupidity). The Jets won the start 20-7, lost 3 minutes 17-0 and then won the last 27 minutes 17-7. They can proudly say the won week 2. If they win one of their next 4 I will be surprised. They are not a good team.
13. Oakland Raiders (5) – The Raiders have had trouble stopping the Falcons. The O struggled to get going early but have come on late and are now in a see saw battle. Will take a lot of guts to pull out this one if they can. The Raiders just didn’t have it this time. The D just couldn’t get it done and in the end they let in more than Oakland could score. A bad loss for a team that now is back looking up at the Broncos. Will the Raiders take the next step or is this just another year?
14. Kansas City Chiefs (12) – The Chiefs are giving it although playing really shorthanded today. The Chiefs are having trouble getting points but the D is bending but not breaking They could yet win this game if they have another 2nd half rally in them. The Chiefs didn’t rally, they didn’t have the O today and they went down to a Texan team that just out muscled them. A loss.
15. Seattle Seahawks (11) – I cannot believe how bad the Seahawk offense is. They have been stifled by the sad sack Rams. Their vaunted D has been unable to hold down LA and they have not gotten TDs but they get FG after FG and since they can’t score any points it doesn’t matter. I can’t believe how bad the Seahawks look. They are not a good offensive team and I don’t know if they are very good at all now.
16. Dallas Cowboys (27) – Elliott first TD gives the Cowboys an early lead. Not a great game by far but very mechanical and just getting enough done on O and D to be relatively in control at the half. This was an ugly game for Dallas. This late come from behind win is nice and all but it doesn’t make them all that. They have issues on D and on their alleged good O line and Elliot is this generation’s Tiki Barber for ball handling. Ok you won. You aren’t playoff bound yet.
17. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (15) – Well I guess Tampa can’t travel very well either. Their young and getting better D has been schooled by a tough team in the NFC. Winston didn’t have an answer and they have been pummeled. An ugly loss to hopefully just forget about.
18. Philadelphia Eagles (25) – The Eagles came out very workman like and were held to FGs for the first half and then they got it going with some quietly decent Wentz play and some solid rush O. The Eagles D held down a bad Bears O and the Eagles O put up the points and this game was over by early in the 3rd quarter. Good win for not a great team.
19. New Orleans Saints (18) – The Saints shut out early by the G-men. Hmmm. The Saints are not getting any O from Brees but their D is really playing above their heads and they are trailing. Game still potentially theirs if they can score some. The Saints played D way over their head but had trouble scoring and in the end they lost the game by missing a cover on a long pass. A tough loss but 0-2 for a team with this many issues isn’t where you want to be.
20. Miami Dolphins (19) – The Dolphin D has no answer to Tom Brady…or Jimmy G or anyone in a Pat uniform. The Dolphins have been battered and beaten and this is probably over but the somewhat cheap shot on the Pat QB may have the Pats in longer term trouble. The Dolphins got a lot of points in what could be called garbage 2nd half possessions and they brought it close but lost. The game was not actually as close as the score and Miami is not very good.
21. Washington Redskins (17) – Cousins still looking troubled with inconsistencies and not getting any offense early. The Skins finally got on the board but unless their D really picks it up, especially against the run, they could be in for a long afternoon. Cousins and the Skins brought it hard in the 2nd half and gave as good as they took and for a while they almost had this in hand but they let in the last score and down they went. They are now not the class in this division and probably will finish 3rd.
22. Detroit Lions (21) – Stafford is making the O work but not getting points but the D is playing well. The Lions are back in their self-defeating ways. The Titans try to give Detroit the game and Detroit penaltied themselves out of it. They need to be more disciplined in the 2nd half. Well how did that happen? The Lions were stopped by the Titans much too much in the 4th quarter and in the end their D didn’t get it done and they lost. This is a hard loss and makes one question the viability of this team now.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars (13) – The hopes of the Jags appear to be a year early, even by me. Good young teams need to learn how to travel and play well and Jacksonville hasn’t taken that course yet. Turnovers have been pure gold and that and penalties and missteps and they are on the receiving end of a blowout. They are not the Texans and I think Houston can breathe easier now. An ugly loss.
24. Chicago BEARS (22) – The Bears were all set for this game and then it started and it all fell apart. Cutler couldn’t lead a hungry dog to a steak dinner. He played poorly and then poorly and then he got a little hurt and he threw a pick *or he threw a pick and said he was hurt* and however close the game was at 30 it was all over by 60. The Bears D had a good front 7 *now 2 of those guys hurt* and no secondary and those bums are healthy. It was an ugly prime time loss and the BEARS I hope are shooting for the first pick and they can get DeShaun Watson to play QB.
25. Tennessee Titans (28) – The Titans are having trouble on both sides of the ball early. The Titans are really struggling on Offense and would be well out of this game if Detroit didn’t let them off the hook over and over again. What a gutsy and surprising win for Tennessee! I don’t think I can remember when the Titans fought back, took lead and then held on. They pretty much played 60 and won. Hunh. Let’s see them win another.
26. Los Angeles Rams (29) – Well the Rams can’t do much on O but the little they could do was enough. Who would think 3 field goals would be enough to win a game? The D has so little talent it is beyond amazing that they have shut down Seattle. A great win for the city of Los Angeles but this team is NOT great.
27. San Francisco 49ers (26) – Unable to get 7 on a red zone turnover but still trying hard this week. The Niners do not seem to be all that this week and are having problems with getting much out of their O unless they have a very advantageous field position. The Niners got beat down but battled back to make it closer. Turnovers destroy a team that is less talented and lost a game they didn’t have any business being in in the first place.
28. San Diego Chargers (30) – The Chargers exploded out of the gate and took over the game with solid O and D. Unlike week 1, they never took the foot off the gas and just have kept pouring it on. For a team without a lot of talent this is an impressive win and maybe this terrible group can build on this one.
29. Atlanta Falcons (31) – The Falcons have brought a solid offense give or take a bad Matty Melt pick and their D bends and breaks and bends again. Late in the game they have a small lead and the question is can they hold it for a road victory? The Falcons got their victory with their D not being much but Matty melting Ice got it done and put the game away. A good road win for a not very good team.
30. Buffalo Bills (23) – What can I say about the Bills? They had trouble establishing the run. Tyrod Taylor looked great with his throwing and running. The D seems decimated by injury and suspension. Stephan Gilmore was torched over and over. The D has huge issues and this 0-2 start will lead inevitably to an 0-4. Good news is they should be 2-4 by week 6 which will be 1 game better than the Jets expected 1-5 so yay Buffalo??? A bad loss.
31. Indianapolis Colts (24) – The Colts have been having great trouble getting points against the Broncos but Luck worked every trick he had. With pure verve and gusto, he managed to get the game tied. Unfortunately, he learned what everyone already knows…turnovers are gold and his pick 6 may have sealed the game. Does Luck have one more comeback in him? Nope Luck had a fumble that turned into a Denver TD so that didn’t help a comeback. A bad offensive day for a team that needs to get all the O it can to have any shot. A bad 0-2 team.
32. Cleveland Browns (32) – Beyond amazing start for Cleveland, McCown is playing great. Then he got dinged up and the Browns have stalled and now are fighting to somehow keep ahead in a game they were leading by 18 early. The poor Browns had this game and lost the lead and couldn’t score again. What a terrible loss that will just rip the guts out of the Browns fan base.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr N The BEARS Fan