1. Dallas Cowboys (2) – On the bye and watched the last best team get whupped and, I never did think I would see this day ever happen, the Cowboys are #1. Can they keep this spot?
2. Seattle Seahawks (3) – It is a good thing Seattle brought their D today as they forgot to bring their O. Russell Wilson’s leg injury seems much more of an issue and they better hope he gets better quicker than the O line improves. The total lack of offense was offset some by a clinic by the Hawk D. They stopped Arizona over and over and held the running game to not more than 3 yards per. Their kicking struggled too and when it came down to it, Steven Hauschka channelled his old North Carolina State days and missed a close one. A tie that they get credit for…a little.
3. Kansas City Chiefs (6) – A very quiet start allowed a TD but then the Chiefs turned it on with D and O and are in the process of blowing the Saints away. The Chiefs got enough ahead that they decided to prevent D it until it was close. The D played well and the O got the points needed but they made it much closer than it had to be. A close win over a bad D and they are what they are which is good.
4. Oakland Raiders (9) – The Raiders are in a fight in South Florida and it is a tribute to their gutsiness that they have a lead at the half. Pretty good Raider D in the first half. The Raiders impressed me today. They again have gone East and ripped the young Jags. Solid play on O and D and they have won a nice game. Well done.
5. New England Patriots (10) – Decent start to the Pat O as they put a couple on Pittsburgh. The Pat D has actually been beaten a bit by the second team Steeler O and the Pats need to find their ‘home field’ advantage on the road as they seem to be going through the motions which is very un-Belichick like. The Patriots were able to get Gronk into the game and added a sealing TD to give them a hard-fought road win. It wasn’t pretty and not very much of a Pat game but it was a game. A nice win.
6. Minnesota Vikings (1) – Bradford has lost his shine and looks like Bradford who played in STL and Phil. The pick was his golden first but the missed throws are just bad. Not much o but a superb D and the Vikings even got a FG from their kicker. They need a little O and they can have this game as the D is playing on point. The D in the end only allowed the standard 13 points. Special teams gave up the rest and then Bradford played like Bradford. A terrible game by the offense and cover teams and down they go. Minnesota needs to shake this off next week or they may have issues in what should have been a signed and sealed division. A bad loss.
7. Green Bay Packers (12) – With a battered QB playing on reputation and no run game the Pack was battered for 30 minutes and could only manage 2 field goals. A relatively legal hit by the D on Hoyer eliminated the BEARS threat and then Rodgers took advantage of a bad secondary to use the short pass as a run game. He set a record for completions but his yards per pass was typically abysmal. They won but they have more troubles than I can count on 2 hands.
8. Cincinnati Bengals (16) – The Bengals are able to move the ball at will but the D is having some issues early stopping a Brown O. They are up a little in a game they should be running away with. The Bengals were able to score several long TDs and the D played just good enough to win this game handily. It wasn’t a blowout but it was a win and that counts – even if it was just over Cleveland.
9. Atlanta Falcons (8) – The Falcons seemed to, for a moment, forget they had to play in this game and quickly found themselves down. Then the dime was dropped and Atlanta started rolling. Solid D plus excellent O quickly put the Falcons well out in front. A late TD allowed has brought the game closer at the half. It will behoove Atlanta to concentrate on playing hard in the second half as San Diego could yet sneak one on them if they don’t. Atlanta put up a nice lead and then thought it would be smart to play prevent D. That simply prevented them from winning the game in regular time. They let San Diego back into it and now have to hope they can pull out an OT win. Well they didn’t have much luck first possession so then, making NO SENSE AT ALL, Dan Quinn goes for it 4th and 1 on his 43 and fails. Way to lose the game. The dumbest Coaching call of the day. A stupid way to lose and it is ALL on the coach.
10. Pittsburgh Steelers (7) – A team without Big Ben was supposed to be lost at home. Give Landry Jones every credit for keeping the team in a game they have no real hope in. The missed FG may haunt them but no more than the TDs the D keeps letting in. It isn’t an ugly blow out but it’s early yet. Whatever magic the Steelers had couldn’t last. The D finally got beat and the hole became so big nothing could overcome it. A game effort by Jones but another loss for Pittsburgh who have to keep an eye on Cincy now.
11. Arizona Cardinals (13) – The Cardinals have had trouble scoring more than 6 points the last two times they played Seattle when at home. What did this time bring? 6 points. Sigh. The Cardinals did have the ball for vast majority of the game but could muster little. When they had innumerable shots at kicking more field goals they were stymied by either illegal blocks or flat out misses. To finish in a tie is a moral victory but not a real victory.
12. Denver Broncos (17) – Denver came out on fire and were able to dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The Bronco D (cheating around the edges as it is very apt to do) harried and battered their ‘old’ QB all night. Siemian played effectively and hit the passes he needed to. The Broncs were up by 8 at the half and never turned back. The Second half brought more of the same and Denver won an easy one. A nice win.
13. Detroit Lions (20) – The Lions are benefitting from turnovers but need to get more production from the O to keep them in this tight battle with a much better team. A pretty good D first half. The Lions gave the game away with some terrible penalties and D play and all seemed lost. Then they had one shot and credit to Stafford he drove the team for a winning TD. A great win for a team that has now won 3 in a row and are moving on up.
14. Washington Redskins (4) – The Redskins have had all their offensive chances hampered by fumbles but the D is playing well and they are in a very low scoring battle. Cousins really showed what he had with solid second half play. He took the team and scored the points to have a late lead and turned it over to the D. The D did what it has done many times since 2010 – they promptly blew the game and lost it. An ugly loss that diminishes this team significantly.
15. Buffalo Bills (5) – The Bills had some early issues on O but the D played great and kept it going until the O started rolling and now Buffalo is in pretty good shape to squish the fish. What happened to the Bills? The D laid huge eggs. The Bills were sucky in the 4th quarter and gave the game away. A brutal loss that makes me question how good this team is. They need to rebound fast or they are just a mirage.
16. New York Giants (18) – Played poorly first 30 with no offense or D but then a turnover recovery was gold and now they have mo. The Mo was mo-stly on D as the O was fairly shut down and has a ton of issues. They won the game with 4 great golden turnovers and that was key to this slim win. Not much of a win but that is a win.
17. Houston Texans (11) – The Texans once had the AFC South in hand and those days are long gone. They never really had a shot in this game. They could do nothing on offense all night and the D was unable to make the stops it needed to. By early in the third quarter the game was effectively over. The real question is whether Brock Osweiler is good enough to play in the NFL? He is being paid an awful lot of money but he isn’t paying that back with good play. Houston is in turmoil and must wonder what comes next for them.
18. Jacksonville Jaguars (14) – The Jags O just can’t get any sort of work done and the D has bent and broke a little. Unless the O really gets it going they are in trouble here. They never got the O going and this was a tough loss with a quick turnaround to a TNF game. A bad loss.
19. Carolina Panthers (19) – on the bye and they are a team waiting to see just who they are on O and D and this could be the year from first to last for Carolina.
20. San Diego Chargers (26) – Good start by the Bolts quickly fell into disarray as the D collapsed and the O started giving away GOLDEN turnovers. When down to by nearly 3 scores they finally found some more rhythm and now the game is not out of hand at the half. What can San Diego do in the 2nd half remains to be seen. I am still impressed by the amount of heart shown by this old Charger team. They were down but didn’t give in. They battled on and Rivers got them to OT and now they have a shot at stealing this game. San Diego D played a good series and were given a gift by Atlanta. Afterward Rivers, who won’t look a gift like that in the mouth, simply took them down for the winning FG. A gutsy win by a Charger team with heart.
21. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (24) – Poor start off a bye. They were flat against a bad team and found themselves quickly down. Winston shook off the rust and began to take apart SF’s D. The Offense is humming and they could be ready to blow out SF. Tampa was led by the mature beyond his years Winston and he just determinedly rolled over the SF D and put this game on ice. Solid pressure and good secondary play sealed this nifty win for Tampa. Nicely done.
22. Philadelphia Eagles (25) – The Eagles O has met the Vikings D and has managed to put up about 0 points in the first half. 2 picks from Wentz was the extent of their ability. If not for a relatively fluky KR for a TD this would be a shutout. The on and off D from Philly has played pretty good but can they keep it up? The Eagles D was able to stop the Vikings and they put a beating on what was the best team in the NFL. Schizo Philly needs to prove to me they are not a team who is lucky instead of good. A great win.
23. Miami Dolphins (27) – The Dolphins had some early success then the D faded as did their O and this game could quickly get way out of hand. The Dolphins never gave up and poured it on in the 4th quarter and won the game with some good O and well played D. I need to see them win one more in a row before I raise them from the ‘terrible team fluking it’ category. It was a win.
24. New York Jets (28) – The Jets used Geno and he actually threw a TD but was trailing when he hurt his knee. With that injury, the Jets had Fitz and Fitz it is. Now as they live by the Fitz – he got them a lead. The D has played Ok too. The Jets under Fitz got it done with solid O while the D did the job too. A good win for a team spinning its wheels.
25. Indianapolis Colts (29) – Superb Pass O from Luck – perhaps his best half of the year so far. This is combined with a terrible Colt D playing its best game and Indy is in the position to run away with this. The Colts D played like it can in the second half and gave up a ton of plays and lots of points. The game came down to pure Luck. Andrew was good today and he drove his team to the win. A good win for a bad Colt team.
26. Baltimore Ravens (15) – The Ravens O is having issues beating the Jets while the Ravens pass rush has been near invisible. They need to get it going or their fade will become a free fall. Hope they all have functioning parachutes because this team is in a free fall. They couldn’t beat the Jet D and couldn’t stop the Jet O and down goes a team that is just a bad team who won a few early.
27. New Orleans Saints (21) – The Saints thought It was on the way with an early TD but then a golden turnover by Brees and some typical horrible D and the Saints are down down down and may go under for the last time soon. The Saints were able to keep in the game scoring against prevent D but when it came down to it – they failed. The loss was close but it is still a loss for a bad Saints team.
28. Tennessee Titans (22) – Well the Titans had been playing great D and solid O but perhaps they have issues beating the old-time division bully as they have looked bad and are getting battered in the first half. The Titans turned it on in the second half and got in a shootout. The Titans were able to beat the bad Colt D for score after score and had a shot late but their D tired and gave up the lead and they lost. Whatever progress they were making in the division has been knocked asunder with this loss to a bad Colt team.
29. Los Angeles Rams (23) – Had the game in hand with solid D and decent O but then a bad play by an overpaid WR (AUSTIN) and they have lost their momentum and face uphill second half. Keenum picked off 4 times and the O never got anything moving while the D did its job. Is it Goff time? Is Goff any good? We just don’t know. It was a loss that will resonate.
30. Chicago BEARS (30) – The Bears came in with a game plan to play tight D and let the O get them enough points. For 30 minutes this worked but alas the BEARS D rarely has 60 minutes of oomph in them. The loss of Hoyer to injury pretty much deep sixed the O. The BEARS now stand with nothing at QB again. Barkley seems unable to play and that still makes him better than Cutler. Whatever hope they had for being competitive now and again is gone and they can hope for a QB in round 1. A tough loss but not too too surprising.
31. San Francisco 49ers (31) – For a few minutes it seemed like San Fran wasn’t just another terrible team as they got out to a nice lead over the rested Bucs. Reality then set in and the Niner D just let Tampa roll all over them. It will be interesting to see if they try to compete in the second half or will they just fold it up. The Niners basically folded up. They couldn’t contain the offense of Tampa and never could match it either and down went this very poor excuse for a team.
32. Cleveland Browns (32) – Very good first half of O by Kessler and company and the D has been pushed around but not severely yet. Can Cleveland play another tough 30? We don’t know but doubt it. Whatever shot Cleveland had ended when Kessler got hurt. The D couldn’t stop AJ Green and the O couldn’t score late and down goes the worst team in football again.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan