1. New England Patriots (3) – The Pats came out with good D and just enough O to have a nice lead and the game looked over. Then a shootout broke out. Lucky for New England Brady is very hard to beat and he tore up a previously good pass D for over 400 yards. The Pats won and they sadly sit atop now.
2. Kansas City Chiefs (4) – Chiefs had the home field and that is often all you need on Thursday. They were able to hit a few passes and that was that. Their D was able to handle Oakland tho the loss of their best tackler probably guts them the rest of the year. The Chiefs won but now may be much worse off after that injury so TNF killed them too. Congrats on the win.
3. Dallas Cowboys (1) – The Cowboys picked a bad time to have a bad game. They went on the road to a heated division rival who was suffering injuries and laid an egg. Dak looked ordinary and tossed 2 golden picks and took the fire out of the O quickly. Fumbles and sacks followed. That O line, oft vaunted, couldn’t hold up an injury damaged Giant pass rush. They managed only 1 TD and let in more than that and lost. They need to give their head a shake as it doesn’t get easier now.
4. Detroit Lions (5) – The Lions have been in the driver’s seat from the start. Good O and some good D and they are well in control of this match. The Lions failed to ever just put away the Bears. They self-defeated some but then watched Chicago match em self-defeat for self-defeat. They see sawed and led then trailed then pulled ahead and held on for dear life. Thank the Good Lord Detroit won. If Geek Bay can lose then all will be flowers and sunshine. (it isn’t)
5. Pittsburgh Steelers (7) – Playing in the snow the Steelers have concentrated with their strengths and used LeVeon Bell to destroy the Bills and are well out in front. They thought using Bell was good so they did it over and over and over. The Steelers were well out in front and played some prevent and let in a cheap TD late but to no avail. The game was over and Pittsburgh won. They at least temporarily lead the AFC North.
6. Oakland Raiders (2) – The Raiders have been spectacular this year and this was a premium matchup to determine division title, wild card and even home field. That would have been incredible…at 1pm on Sunday. Unfortunately for the whole football world they were forced to waste this matchup in the garbage that is TNF. Oakland was obviously hurt by the short week. One of their key OL men couldn’t get back in 4 days and their key secondary parts were down due to the SHORT WEEK. They couldn’t stop a speedy receiver and down they went. It means the Cheatriots probably have home field now and KC leads the division and this was shameful. I would have loved to have seen this matchup for real. Oakland lost.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9) – This titanic clash lived up to the preview. The Bucs O had some problems getting the ball moving a lot today but the D came to play. They scored a little when they could but they got golden turnover after golden turnover and they held on a for a key win. This is a tough little team when Winston, Martin and the D are all going.
8. New York Giants (10) – Well the Giants needed this win and gave their all. They put together an effort that was terrific. This was a classic the sum was better than the parts. The secondary shut down Dez, the pass rush got home against a ‘storied’ O line. Eli was able to hit OBG for a key TD and the G-men pulled out a win. The good news is they continue to be 2 up on Green Bay.
9. Atlanta Falcons (11) – Well this is the third week in a row when a team just had a live practice against the Rams. I think Atlanta took the same tours as New England. They got to see swank pads, saw Kanye and Beyoncé’s west coast pad, did some body surfing, drove the 101 in convertibles and served a 40 burger on the just deplorable Rams. A walk over win.
10. Baltimore Ravens (8) – The Ravens were never in the game for the first 30 and by the time they got into it they were down by 14. They did outscore NE by 7 in the second half but that was 7 too little. Now they are out of the division lead and could be in trouble to even make the playoffs.
11. Houston Texans (19) – A slow start for Houston but the D has played hard and got the game under control. The pretty crappy Texan O has got something going and they are in a good position at the half with the lead. The Texans managed to have their D bend but not break. They managed to play good enough O to have a lead they never let go of. A superb win that puts them on a collision course with the Titans.
12. Washington Redskins (13) – Classic Washington is struggling against the Eagles and it took well into the 3rd quarter before they could get the O firing up. The D is playing ok but they are lucky to not be way behind…they need to show more intensity. The Redskins showed intensity in the wrong way with vicious cheap shots. They practically killed Darren Sproles. Cousins managed to get the key late TD and the D held on for a much-needed win. That helps their playoff hopes immensely.
13. Miami Dolphins (15) – Playing in tight battle with Arizona. The O is struggling to get much going but the D is playing well but you have a feeling the game could open up quick. Turnovers will be key here. The Dolphins battled and had a lead. The late injury to Tannehill should have by all rights destroyed them. In a gutsy performance, the much-aged Matt Moore got the job done and won the game for the Fins. They are still mathematically alive but the road to the post season is a tough one without their starting QB. A good win.
14. Cincinnati Bengals (18) – A ho hum match but credit to Cincy for giving it some effort playing a bad team. They are well out in front and tho not blowing out the Browns, this is probably over already. The game was over. Cincy simply was in control and they did let in a TD but nothing of note. A win over a bad team that counts as a win, over a bad team.
15. Arizona Cardinals (14) – Playing in a tight battle with Miami. The O is struggling to get much going but the D is playing well but you have a feeling the game could open up quick. Turnovers will be key here. Palmer paved a golden road with turnovers. The Cards O totally sucked for the first half but then got some points later to tie the game. Inexplicably the D, which is supposed to be good, couldn’t stop Miami’s last drive and they lost. Stick the fork in the Cards they are now playing for paychecks and draft picks. Ugly loss that lands right at the feet of Carson Fitzpatrick Palmer.
16. New Orleans Saints (16) – The Saints had everything to lose in this game and they lost it all. Brees was terrible and turnovers were golden and he did that over and over. They played pretty good D but the O could do very little and they really lost the special teams battle too. A bad loss that effectively ends their hopes for playoffs.
17. Tennessee Titans (21) – The Titans have early on found that there is much ado about nothing in regards to the Bronco D. They have not only run all over them but the BEYOND uber vaunted Von Miller is a non-factor as Tennessee completes any number of passes. The Titan D has shut down the moribund Bronco O and the Titans have it well in hand. The Titan D seemed to go into a bit of a pass prevent and they let Denver roll all over the field. They let in lots of pass yards and one TD but when it came down to it, the Titans D made the stop and they won. The AFC South may yet go through Tennessee. Great win.
18. Denver Broncos (12) – Well Denver can’t run, can’t throw and today can’t play D. The fact that they sit in a Wild Card slot for now is more indicative of luck than talent. Unless they find something here they may not be in the Wild Card as of 4pm Sunday. The Broncos had some ability passing but only could score one TD and a FG. They had a shot late but couldn’t do it and now I sit to see if they can be booted out of the playoff spot again. What a poor team.
19. Seattle Seahawks (6) – I have said here for years that TURNOVERS ARE GOLD. Seattle should be embarrassed. Russell Wilson chose week 14 to go to Green Bay, on the ‘game of the week’ and laid a 4 Pick egg???? What a terrible effort. Simply losing one starting safety shouldn’t gut a team. The utter lack of ability and talent shown here makes me embarrassed I rated this team in the top ten. A humiliating loss. Please, the sake of my sanity, can the talking heads stop talking about Seattle being a team to beat in the NFC. Horrible loss.
20. Buffalo Bills (17) – An offense that could do nothing for most of the first half and a D that couldn’t stop the run and now the Bills are well behind. The Bills could do nothing when Pittsburgh was trying. Once prevent started they did get some offense but too little way too late. A loss that further sinks the Bills. The word that Rexy and the ownership are not getting along is bad. The Bills are building something and need consistency. To dump Rex and bring in a new guy could set them back another 3 years or more.
21. Minnesota Vikings (23) – Inexplicably the Vikings can’t find the end zone. They have moved between the 20’s but managed only FGs. On the positive their kicker can kick field goals. The D has held the Jags to FGs but this game is way too closer than it should be. Minnesota never got it going today. They even trailed the Jags for a while. They did get the lead back and the D held on and they won. An ugly win but it helps keep Green Bay looking in from the outside.
22. Green Bay Packers (24) – Rodgers has had a good day in the snow. Multiple TDs, racking up tons of points. A terrible, terrible, terrible D has managed to get tons of golden turnovers and they have won this game going away. They may yet reach the playoffs but I am still going to be sticking pins in my Aaron Rodgers doll.
23. San Diego Chargers (22) – Well San Diego was knocked out of playoff consideration last week and it shows this week. They have shown no ability to play today. They have been beset with injuries and lack of production on O and lack of ability on D. Can they show anything today? Rivers showed they still have heart. They tried and tried and got it within a couple of scores but that was all they could do. They lost it badly and their time in San Diego isn’t going to end memorably.
24. New York Jets (25) – A terrible start and this team, on the ropes with sinking morale, found themselves ready to be blown out by a terrible team. The Jets didn’t give up. The D got their wind and started playing well. Petty grew into an NFL QB on the field in this game. He started making reads and finding receivers. He drove them for points by the 3 and then to a key TD and then to a game tying FG. In OT, he drove the team to a winning TD. Petty is very possibly the future at QB for the Jets. If nothing else, he is a HELL of a lot better than Geno. Nice win.
25. Carolina Panthers (26) – Having a party at home today. The Panthers are using being virtually eliminated from the playoffs to inspire them. Great D, solid O and they are shutting out the Bolts for most of the first half. This game seems over at the half. The Panthers were never challenged and simply put away a San Diego team who never really had a chance as the injuries piled up. A meaningless win for a team that isn’t very good.
26. Indianapolis Colts (20) – Well the Colts scored first and then Luck got picked and the Colt D has shown its ability *they don’t have any* and they find themselves down two possessions in a critical division game and need to step up in the 2nd half. The Colts got it going a little in the 2nd half and made it close. They tried and brought it to within one possession but when it was on the line they couldn’t make a stop and catch up and lost. They now are third in their division and their defense is exposed as rotten. Houston has no O and they beat up this CRAPPY COLT D.
27. Chicago BEARS (27) – The Bears are trying but they are what they are. They have some good rush O, some moments of pass O, some penalties, some bad D, some ok D. They are down and probably out already. Barkley and the Bears played pretty good on O. Getting well north of a century in penalties didn’t help. They had one shot late to stop Detroit and failed. They had one shot late to win it and failed. They lost and are eliminated and are maybe playing for a top pick. They need a QB but who is the best one now?
28. Philadelphia Eagles (28) – Decent effort by the piss poor Eagles. They lead for more than half the game and are still keeping this close. They could steal a win here. The Eagles gave their all on O and D. They kept it close and lead til late but their D got beat once for a big one. The O got stopped on the last drive and down they went. Another loss for a team that loses a lot.
29. Los Angeles Rams (29) – I don’t think LA has ever seen 3 weeks of terrible football like this team has had now in a row. This was the third humiliating loss. They never had a chance and look like they are overmatched in every area of the game. This franchise needs to hit the reset and judge every player and coach and see who has any future and can the rest. Just about the worst team but for SF/Jacks/Clev. Terrible loss.
30. San Francisco 49ers (30) – The Niners couldn’t have hoped for a better start. The smoke from pregame barely cleared and they were out in front by 2 touchdowns. The offense didn’t manage to do much else for the next 58 minutes or in OT. The D played ok for a while but little by little they started to give and give and after FG after FG they started to get dissected by a young QB. They managed only 3 points more but let in 17 and went to OT. They then lost. Well this is a terrible team and they are pretty poorly led by a pretty poor coach.
31. Jacksonville Jaguars (31) – The Jags are playing out the string but playing pretty good D today. The O can’t get anything but FGs but they are in this game and they have no business being in it so good effort so far. A brave and gutsy effort by Jacksonville. Well played *for them* on D and O. They took a late lead but couldn’t hold it and lost a close one. A game effort in the loss.
32. Cleveland Browns (32) – Some in the organization actually thought RGIII might show he can be the QB for 2017. Some said he might get them a win today. They might need to score a point or two. They are being shut out and look all the world like a team steaming towards 0-16. Note to Joe Haden, I too think Alabama could shut out the Browns. The Browns weren’t shut out, which was good. They lost again which is how they go. They simply have no shot at beating anyone and I really sincerely wonder if they can win one in 2017.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan