1. New England Patriots (1) – Michael Floyd went for the goal line on the 2nd first half TD like a drunken man charging towards an open bar. No doubt that New England knows the value of home field throughout this time. They are dominating in all aspects in the first half. The Pats never took their foot off the gas. They scored at will and blew away Miami. They sit at home in New England and wait for the first victim in the Division round.
2. Dallas Cowboys (2) – The Cowboys are keeping Dak in the game and if he gets hurt it will not be good for them. Dak got out alive and Romo tossed a TD. Butt Fumble tossed a pick. All seems right in the world for Big D so far. Dallas proved one thing in the second half. Mark Sanchez, the walking Butt Fumble, is a complete incompetent. It was said in the pregame that Sanchez sees himself as the long-term backup behind Dak. I see him as a long-term popcorn salesman in Jerry World. A meaningless loss.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (3) – Having issues getting offense going against the BROWNS. The Steeler D let RGIII march the field for a score. Is Pittsburgh really mailing this in using holiday stamps? Landry Jones is finding his inner preseason 2016 as he can’t really get anything going. He has managed one TD and they could still pull out a win but they need to try a little harder. The Steelers battled back and managed to tie the game and take it to OT. They looked down and out went for it and won. They will be tough with everyone trying in the playoffs.
4. Atlanta Falcons (5) – The greatest show on Georgian turf is tearing up the laughable excuse that is the Saints D. They I think trailed for a minute or two but now we wonder if they will put up another 50 burger. The Falcons scored early and often and used almost every weapon they had. They were up 25 and went into some deep full bore prevent. The pressure on Saint D stopped and the pressure on Saint O stopped and the points piled up against until Atlanta didn’t cover the spread. Hope someone had cash with the Saints as that last TD smelled like a Vegas score. It was a win for them.
5. Kansas City Chiefs (7) – Took KC a few minutes to get it going but boy did they get it going then. The D started getting golden turnovers and the O started to put up points and they have pulled ahead of the Chargers. A nice first half. Kansas City never let up and they used special teams to help ice this win. KC is deadly because they have strong O, D and special teams. They rarely make mistakes and they are well coached. They are #2 seed and have a bye. They have a slim chance of giving the Evil Empire a challenge when they play at the Death Star in New England on Conference Championship Weekend. I am just flat out assuming they will handle whoever crawls out of the Wild Card.
6. New York Giants (8) – A decent effort by a Giant team just going through the motions. They have managed only 10 points but that is enough with a D pitching a shutout. Can’t imagine the ones will play much in the second half so they may yet lose this game. The G-men rested some O but played the D and they got the golden turnovers and the O did just enough to win this game. May they have this kind of effort when they face Green Bay new week. A nice Giant like win.
7. Green Bay Packers (11) – The Packers came out a little slow and didn’t get the O working much in the first 30 minutes. Held to only 1 TD and one long FG they hadn’t really shown their stuff. It felt like standing under a snow-covered hill knowing the avalanche was going to fall as soon as someone sneezed. The second half was a different story. They outscored Detroit by eleven and the outcome was never in doubt. They ran the table and win the division. They haven’t really faced a decent squad in the last six weeks so next week will be the first real challenge since they lost 4 in a row. Will be an interesting wild card game Sunday.
8. Seattle Seahawks (12) – Slow start on O with little rush and no points to speak of. The D put its face into this game and got 2 key turnovers. The O put up points fast and they are leading and this game could be over now. The Seahawks fell to full on prevent and barely hung on for a very close and ugly win over a very bad Niner team. I don’t see much playoff life for this sad excuse for a team.
9. Houston Texans (6) – A very quiet start for Houston as they appear to have partied a bit too much last night like I did. Whatever plan the Texans had – get Savage reps as he preps for the Chiefs in the Wild card round – went splat with the concussion and now they just get to suffer under the leadership of one of the most highly paid and terrible QBs in NFL History. Well I don’t think anyone who has watched Houston play with Brock at QB this year was surprised by how ineffective Brock O was. The Texans went down with a sputter and are not exactly looking like a team who can win a wild card game next week. A bad loss.
10. Oakland Raiders (4) – I understand that Oakland has lost their QB but come on guys. With no O and D that can’t stop anyone this is ugly. If they don’t wake up they could be on the road and suffering in the playoffs. The Raiders just never got it going on O and couldn’t make any stops on D and they were destroyed. It was ugly and one has to think the poor Silver and Black will be one and done in the wild card round now.
11. Miami Dolphins (9) – For a team who had a ‘shot’ at moving up in wild card rank they seem happy to be blown out and stay in the 6th seed if the early going is any example. This Fin squad seems to be running head first into a buzz saw and this could end uglier than it has started. Dolphins never had a shot. They couldn’t stop NE O and they couldn’t score against NE D. A very ugly way to lose and enter the playoffs but they will face a tough Steeler team… anywho so I predict one and done.
12. Detroit Lions (13) – My oh my. This team just let the division slip away from them. They even had a lead for half this game but everyone including the popcorn dealers in the stands knew the Lions couldn’t hold it. They had the Pack down by 7 but let GB run the field in 30 seconds to make it only 4. They let in 3 easy TDs in the 2nd half and that was that. If they go to Seattle and get beat and go home it will be the end of one of the most humiliating collapses and I wonder if the coach and QB deserve to survive this collapse. A team going nowhere but down who had such great promise.
13. Tennessee Titans (14) – The Titans are off to an early lead in the meaningless bowl. Will be left to see how much heart the Titans have with a backup QB just 7 days or so after being eliminated. The Titans knocked the starting Texan QB out and now get to face Osweiler which means the Titans have this game in control now. Have to give Matt Cassel absolute credit he had more in him today that I thought he had left. He was able to work against a fairly game Texan D and he did enough to get them a win. A season that two weeks ago, had such hope ends with a win and possibly hope for 2017.
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (15) – Winston over throwing early and are trailing the Panthers. Follow that with a pick and the Bucs don’t look like a team with a mathematical shot at making the playoffs. They are the team allergic to making the playoffs. Not the inspired play of a team with heart. They even had a pick that was dropped clean. Makes one wonder what kind of clubhouse atmosphere this head coach has created in Tampa. Tampa battled and battled and barely held a lead late. Bur for stupidity on the part of the Panther coach they probably would have lost. They snuck out a win and are eliminated. They are building something here.
15. Arizona Cardinals (16) – Arizona’s depleted D has been able to handle all the Rams have. Carson Palmer is playing ok and they have a small lead. They should win this easily because even this team is better than LA. Arizona has been able to dominate on D and special teams and even with some O now and then. The game is well and holy over with more than 10 left in the 4th. Turnovers just made it uglier. Well played against a terrible team. Something to hang a hat on after a bad year.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (18) – The Bengals are moving it well against the still supposedly tough Raven D. Cincy is on the verge of putting the game away at the half. Totally in control early. The Bengals, gutted by injuries, were never challenged. They used backup RBs and TEs and DEs and CBs and simply dominated what has often been called a good Raven team. A fine win in a meaningless game.
17. Indianapolis Colts (22) – Totally flat and the Colts must have their off season plans and tickets in their suitcases already. The Colts are just playing rotten with turnovers, missed tackles and mistakes. The old second half Colts made an appearance. They battled on O and D and chipped away until they got it tied. They fell behind and then in a great effort marched the field and won. A superb win to end a hugely disappointing season. Perhaps Luck isn’t a total bum but their head coach may not survive this mess.
18. New Orleans Saints (17) – A team with nothing to play for and nothing much on D is getting schmucked vs Atlanta. With Brees doing what he can when he can get his hands on the ball the Saints are in danger of being totally blown out. I did hear from the broadcast that Dennis Allen is building a good D so it looks bright. Has anyone watched this Saint team be blown out constantly this year besides me? The Saints were down a ton and then put up a make Vegas happy 19 and lost by 6. It was another ugly loss for a team that DOESN’T HAVE DEFENSE.
19. Philadelphia Eagles (23) – Eagles are played decent D early. The Eagle D had no answer to Tony Romo but they could have thought he had retired already. They did pick off Butt Fumble but who hasn’t? They are tied in a game they should be dominating in. The Eagles took their sweet time but finally got ahead to stay in the 2nd half. A nice win for a team that was vastly overrated by most *not me* and they get another pretty high draft pick.
20. Minnesota Vikings (24) – Solid opening drive followed by a great red zone pick and the Vikes are in control early in this big meaningless game. The Vikings are getting turnovers and kicking Bear butt and this could be extremely ugly if they don’t fall to prevent. The Vikes simply sliced and diced the Bears with inspired D and end 8-8. The team could have been all that and was all not that in the end. I think they need a healthy Bridgewater and their O line needs help with health and depth. What a lost chance this season was.
21. Denver Broncos (27) – A great effort early by Denver on O and D. The cheating cheap shot Bronco D is playing like it can and getting away with it. They have poured in the points and are well in control at the half. Denver gave their all, both legal and illegal, for their retiring coach and blew out the Raiders. It was a nice win for a pretty crappy, overrated team.
22. New York Jets (30) – Starting a bum at QB has the Jets offense sputtering early. The Jets are living by the Fitz here. He is better than EJ Manuel but then again so am I and I haven’t thrown a ball since a nerf ball in 1994. The Jets were able to stop the Bills with some of their best D in months. They even piled on the points at a level not seen in months. Best game of the year by a team who has just tried hard to not try for the last 4 games or so. It was a win.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars (20) – The ‘resurgent’ Jag O is still alive this week. Jacksonville is finding something positive in the dregs of this nightmare season. Bortles is looking just a little like an NFL quarterback again. A pretty good first half. Well Jacksonville managed to live out their season in this game. They led and played well. The D played badly and let Indy in it. They drove for the lead and played bad D and lost. They have a ton of talent and need to find the right leader of a Head Coach to bring it all together.
24. Carolina Panthers (21) – Another solid effort so far by the Panthers to maybe put a positive spin on this lost season. The Panthers are playing hard and giving their all which shows a semblance of heart in the Panther uniform. Caaaaam managed to turn it over a ton *wipe me out in a fantasy consolation round* and still get the game close. They could have won this in OT with momentum but went for 2 and lost the game. The gambler. This is a very ugly way to end an UGLY season.
25. Buffalo Bills (19) – Starting a bum at QB has the Bills offense sputtering early. The Bills have no chance whatsoever with Manuel at QB and with McCoy injured. Me thinks this will not be the shining mark on Lynn’s CV that he might have hoped for. So, Manuel was so bad that the team put in Cardale Jones. Jones may have a future in Buffalo but tossing him in here with no reps and in a hopeless sitch was harsh. He could do nothing, Buffalo did nothing and they were stomped by a bad Jet team to end their year. If they follow through getting rid of Tyrod Taylor, then this team may be circling the bowl for the rest of the decade.
26. San Francisco 49ers (25) – San Fran got off to another fast start and had a nice lead over the Seahawks. Then they decided to start turning the ball over and Turnovers are Gold. This team is no way good enough to win and turn it over. They have allowed a ton of points late in the first half and have a long road ahead of them now. San Fran went hard against prevent and made it very close. I give them credit to giving Chip and the GM something to remember fondly as they clear out their offices.
27. Baltimore Ravens (26) – Not much effort from Baltimore D to start. The Ravens can’t get anything going on O and this is making it a very long day so far. The Ravens could muster very little in way of offense and they were beaten like a bad dog on D several times. A team that once had playoffs in their grasp end with a fitting splat. They were not as good as people thought and they are just as bad as they looked today.
28. Cleveland Browns (28) – A good start for Cleveland on O and D and that isn’t so unusual. Can they do it for more than 15 or 20 minutes is the question. The Browns have played another good 30 minutes give or take the RGIII pick. Now do they have 30 minutes more in them on the first day of 2017? Only Cleveland can lose a lead, have the ball inside the 5 to win it and fumble. They took a lead in OT and let in a TD to lose. They are 1-15 and my do they need a TON of help. Cleveland, you are once more …on the clock and for the love of Mike DON’T TRADE THE PICK. PICK someone.
29. San Diego Chargers (29) – San Diego really gave their all early and took an early lead. They turned the ball over and let in a few and they are now trailing and it will be hard for this team to maintain their early effort as they have nothing at all to play for. The Bolts tried but didn’t have a chance to win with special teams issues and they let in TDs and missed chances and end their life as the Chargers in SD with another loss. Next stop new home, new coach, new identity.
30. Washington Redskins (10) – Well isn’t that interesting. Win and in. Simply beat a NYG team who has nothing to play for and you are in the playoffs. What does Washington do? They come out flat and allow a long TD and a FG and can manage no offense. What the hell is wrong with Washington? If they lose this game I would let Cousins go, fire the head coach, change the team nickname and move to Maryland and hide the fact they ever were Washington. They have 30 minutes to pull their heads out of their collective asses. The Redskins D played a pretty good game all game while the O played pretty bad. They did manage to make a small effort and got the game tied but it wasn’t enough. They let in a late 3 and then Cousins turned it over again and they lost. I cannot explain how utterly useless Washington is to have lost this game and eliminated themselves. I would use a steam cleaner and a fire hose and wash out the front office and the clubhouse. Can them all, I would want none of this group of losers on my team after this debacle.
31. Los Angeles Rams (31) – I don’t know how this terrible team got 21 points last week. They seem to have trouble getting 3 yards on a drive. They are in trouble when down by 7 and I am doubtful they can get another 6 unless it is against prevent. This team sucks. The team sucks on O to beat any other suckage they provide. They evidently had a fight with themselves in the walkway to the locker at the half. I think at this point if they are planning to demolish the Coliseum the may want to consider leaving the Rams in the building when they blow it up. A crushing, terrible loss.
32. Chicago BEARS (32) – The BEARS D is playing like it has all year. Bad. Then they tossed a 24k gold red zone pick. Sigh. The BEARS can’t turn it over and have any hope. Their D is just so porous this is a fifty-burger waiting to happen. The BEARS were whipped for 38 and turned it over a million times. They lost ugly and now have had the worst season Chicago has had in 29 years. What a fugly team and they need a so much help. It has to start with cutting/firing/dismissing/deleting Jay Cutler. Oh, and draft a pass rusher.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan