1. New England Patriots (1) – The Pats have been in control from the start here. They haven’t been able to throw much but the running game has been effective and consistent. Couple that with pretty good D that has handled the Broncos and that is a great recipe for a win. The Pats get a measure of revenge and win this game handily in Denver.
2. Dallas Cowboys (3) – The Cowboys found their legs on O and D finally. The Bucs were a tough challenge but Dak and Zeke could not be stopped. The D did the job when it had to and the Cowboys have righted a slightly sinking ship. Can they win out now is the question. A good win.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (5) – The Steelers are being manhandled by a lesser opponent and look terrible. They better find a half time speech or they are pissing away their advantage in the playoff race. Tomlin must have a Master’s at halftime speeches. He instilled some fire and boy that Steeler D came alive. They took over the game and the Steeler O got ii done and they won. Nicely done.
4. Oakland Raiders (6) – The Raiders started out their traditional slow method. Their D let in a long TD and then Carr and the boys had issues getting it going. This went on and on. They finally got 3 and then got an incredible TD *the review got it RIGHT* and they tied it. They then fell behind again and it got dicey for their fans and their stomachs! Well never fear the cardiac Silver and Black knew what to do. They couldn’t punch it in but they tied it and then they kicked another FG and the Raider D sealed it! The Raiders are in the playoffs for the first time in 14 years! Way to go Oakland! Superb heart stopping win!
5. New York Giants (8) – The Giants have brought the D in the first half and are ahead in a big battle in the swamps of Jersey. The Giants didn’t score much but they didn’t need much with that D. They scored early and scored late and shut down the Lions. An excellent win and the G-men are well in control of a wild card and still have a shot at the NFC East. Great win.
6. Atlanta Falcons (9) – The highest scoring offense in the NFL got a chance to play SF today. Let’s see how many ways Atlanta could score. Freeman over and over and over. Tons of yards tossed by Ryan and TDs there too. The Falcons put this game to bed early and then just piled it on. A nice win and keeps them in control in their battle with Tampa.
7. Baltimore Ravens (10) – The Ravens are getting all they can handle from the Eagles. Sometimes the Eagles are playing like crap but Baltimore matches it, crap for crap. They need to tighten it up and cut out the golden turnovers or they could lose this game. The Ravens put up a nice lead and then fell to prevent and held on for their dear life. They nearly blew the game but were gifted a win by Philly. This team is still alive but still not very good.
8. Houston Texans (11) – The Texans have had about as bad a start as possible. Osweiler did his best Matt Schaub impersonation but he doesn’t toss pick sixes just picks. He was booed out of a starting job and now Houston has gone Savage. They are getting pasted by the Jags…yes, the Jags. The Texans showed more heart than usual and Savage showed WAY more ability than Brock and they battled all the way back and won this game. This gawdwaful team still leads their division but now must win out to clinch. They seem to have a QB so they are a little more dangerous.
9. Tennessee Titans (17) – The Titans fell behind fast and are working from behind and will need to step up their D to have a shot in this tough road game. The Titans fell behind but never quit. They played better D in the 2nd half and the O was determined and kept picking away at the deficit. They brought it within 1 and went for 2 *what a pile of Mularkey that call was* and failed. All seemed lost but they got one more shot and won with a FG. Superb win and 2 more wins and they are in!
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7) – The Bucs had their playoff hopes in their hands to start and couldn’t slay this demon. The Cowboys were just too much for the hard-playing Bucs and now they need to find another way to the playoffs. Lucky for them other teams in the NFC don’t seem too keen on the wild card either.
11. New Orleans Saints (16) – The Saints are who we know they are. There D is an afterthought. They can let in scores with the best of them. However, when Brees is on his game, they can score and score too. Brees has tossed tons of TDs and they have run for TDs and they outscored and crushed the Cards. A fun shootout win for the Saints.
12. Miami Dolphins (13) – The Fish made mincemeat out of the hapless Jets. Everything they did on O and D worked. It seemed like they were never challenged but that is only because their opposition never tried. A superb win that keeps them well alive in the volatile AFC Wild Card race.
13. Kansas City Chiefs (2) – The Chiefs have shown excellent O and good D and are giving Tennessee everything they can deal with. They have a lead and this is quite a battle so far. The Chiefs pulled ahead but then their QB gave up a golden turnover and the D couldn’t seal the deal. They were slowly caught and in the end, they couldn’t make the stop and down they went. A huge loss that opens up the West for Oakland again.
14. Detroit Lions (4) – The classic second half team is writing that script again. They can’t get it going in the first half and need to make a late surge. The Lions tried but they never were able to find any rhythm. The pass rush of the Giants just disrupted Stafford and he never found an answer. The D played pretty good but allowed 2 TDs too many. The late 4th Quarter Golden turnover ended it. What a bad loss as now they have opened the door for Green Bay and Detroit may not even make the playoffs now.
15. Washington Redskins (12) – The Redskins got a gift from Dallas and were in control of their playoff destiny. Just win out and they were in. So, what did they do? They went out and laid the biggest egg anyone has seen outside of an ostrich nest. What a terrible effort. They were destroyed by a Panther team with nothing to play for. Now they have to battle to make the playoffs and that was just embarrassing.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (14) – A bad Bengal team is outplaying the Steelers and have the game in control in the first half. The Bengals were flattened in the second half. They fell into self-defeating ways and gave up a lead and lost in ugly fashion. Kiss them formally goodbye. They are done with this loss.
17. Seattle Seahawks (19) – The Seahawks came in with the standard game plan, walk on the field and beat the Rams. They did and they did. It was over practically before the game started. Within a short period, the Rams were down and never had a shot. A pretty good win over a bad, bad team. Note the cheap head shot by Sherman was vicious and he is a punk and should be suspended.
18. Buffalo Bills (20) – The Bills took a while to get their mind on the game but now are comfortably blowing away the hapless Browns. The Bills never looked back. They ran, they ran with authority and played some decent d and won this game going away. A win for Buffalo. It won’t matter how many they win if the Bills fire Ryan as they will be destroying all the progress they are making. Don’t DO IT Buffalo. Give him some time!
19. Green Bay Packers (22) – The Packers have been able to over match all the BEARS could do BUT they actually fell behind in the first half. It is too much to hope that Green Bay can lose this game but I have hope. The Packers got the offense going and put the game well ahead. They are letting in a lot of prevent scores so the game is getting close. The Packers didn’t let anything stop them and used the last-minute left to put together a game winning drive. They will likely win the division now barring Detroit pulling their head out of their ass.
20. Carolina Panthers (25) – The Panthers played a solid game for 60 minutes and took down a team battling for playoffs. Caaaaaam was good and brutally hit with no calls. A solid albeit meaningless win for a team that really understands that they need a shutdown cornerback to be good.
21. Indianapolis Colts (26) – A bad Colt team is playing a great game. Solid D, good O and everything they are doing is turning out gold. Up by 24 they have this well in hand. The Colts are going to be in the unique position after this win of being possibly first in their division and still being a TERRIBLE Football team. A surprise blow out win.
22. Denver Broncos (18) – The Broncos have struggled with scoring for weeks and weeks. That struggle has continued today. They just can’t move the ball and their BEYOND UBER VAUNTED D has been pushed around by Pat running backs. With no O, they had no shot and down goes the Broncos and I can happily note they are OUT of the wild card spots in the AFC!!!!
23. Minnesota Vikings (21) – The Vikings needed to win out and get help to make the playoffs. They got AP the child beater back too. They are playing a bad Colt team. The upshot? HORRIBLE effort and they are down by 24 bloody points at the half. What the hell is going on here? The Vikes evidently didn’t like the uncertainty of being alive with help for the playoffs so they have taken that out of the conversation. The Vikings, destroyed by Indy are dead in the water. Well done. What an embarrassing loss.
24. San Diego Chargers (23) – The team with heart gave their all again today. They kept in the lead or tied for most of the match. The O had only a couple of good drives but the D was resplendent with superb effort on pass defense and rush. If not for a critical late game red zone turnover they might have stolen this win. As it was they lost another close one. Good, losing effort.
25. Arizona Cardinals (15) – The Cards have become a schitzo team on D. Last week the D looked so strong and helped them dominate. Today they have been fed a 40 burger and still look like they would like to eat a 50 burger. The Card O has been good but in a shootout, you have to match TD for TD and they didn’t ergo they lose. FYI everyone, if the Card hadn’t hit Brees with his HELMET, there wouldn’t have been a flag. A bad loss and can we finally say this team is done????
26. New York Jets (24) – OMG that was an awful effort part 2. They seem to really want their head coach fired. Poor Petty was like a man alone out there. As Joe Namath said, the way the Jets O line plays, no one should play QB in week 16. They were terrible and got hung, drawn and quartered. Another pitiful effort which questions if any of the quitters on this team have heart.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (31) – Great play by the Jag D and with multiple picks and pressures they have gotten their best first half performance of the year. If they can keep it up they might even win a game. The Jaguars played super D and got up to a nice lead but…. being a young team not used to winning they didn’t know how to hold on. They slowly saw the lead disappear and they fell behind and with one last shot missed. Another loss but they tried hard today.
28. Philadelphia Eagles (28) – The refs called a penalty on the ‘wide guy’ playing for Philly. Is it appropriate to make fun of a receivers’ weight? The Eagles have made terrible mistakes but are still in this game. The Eagles D let in a few and they found themselves down but not out. Wentz gave his all and even when it seemed all was lost he drove for one more score and brought them to within the extra point for a tie. So, what did they do? Go for 2 and lost. You can almost spell stupid using the letters in Philadelphia Eagles – you just need a U and that U is their coach. Terrible loss.
29. Los Angeles Rams (29) – One can only hope that time will eventually create some talent on this team. When they got rid of the vets on the D it was over. On this day, the O could do nothing and the D could stop nothing and they lost. It was ugly but that is the last month of Ram football.
30. San Francisco 49ers (30) – SF can be given some credit for kinda trying here but that only goes so far. The Niner D never had any effect on Atlanta and were scorched by run and pass. Just a fine pasting and if not for the deplorable play of one team or two others today, this team would drop. Consider getting pasted their lucky day as Cleveland and CHICAGO are worse.
31. Chicago BEARS (27) – Some terrible D by Chicago and some flat O have combined with some ok D and some decent O and the Bears had a short lead for a bit. Can they keep it close? Highly doubtful. The BEARS fell well behind fast and couldn’t stop the Packer run. Late in the 4th they have scored a lot on prevent and have it close for a moment. Only the stupid BEARS D or lack thereof, allow a 60-yard pass to Jordy Nelson and then lose. Ridiculous. They had a shot to beat the Packers. I am ashamed.
32. Cleveland Browns (32) – Cleveland looked for about 10 minutes like they were going to compete but no. They were tied and now are buried and unlikely to get anything outside of a late garbage time score here. The Browns had a good ten minutes. They never had a chance in the other 50. They are so close to 0-16 that everyone in Cleveland can smell it. Another loss.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan