|2017 Power Poll Week 1|
|2||1||Green Bay||Played a solid game and won it pretty easily. Too early to really judge how good the Pack D is until they play a team with an actual offensive line.|
|4||2||Oakland||Was a superb game from start to finish. Given a gift of a free possession they never looked back and kicked a much hyped Titan squad all over the place. The Silver and Black look very legit early.|
|1||3||New England||They got pounded in the 2nd half, 4th quarter specifically. It seemed that Brady was flat, the D can’t deal with speed and this either will be the wake up that inspires them or the slightest chance this is signalling they are on the way down.|
|5||4||Minnesota||Wow what a game! Bradford had the best game of his career and the Vikes D brought it like everyone knew they would. Their kicker even kicked field goals. If they can maintain this effort they could challenge GB.|
|8||5||Kansas City||A superb win and too much can be made of this easily. What we can take away from this is that Alex Smith threw a great deep ball and now he has targets who can run. The Chiefs lost Berry at S and that may do more to harm this team than this win does to make them better. Still a great start to their year for one game.|
|11||6||Dallas||A good game by the Cowboys with solid O. The D here is also hard to judge since they faced a team with no offensive line whatsoever. How good they are will start to be shown in week 2.|
|3||7||Arizona||Well they played a pretty good 45 minutes but then their D just crapped out and they lost one late. They should have won it and now we have to wonder if they are just old?|
|7||8||Pittsburgh||They struggled on O all day and had to battle to overcome a game Cleveland squad. LeVeon showed clearly how important preseason is. A solid D, a bad O and they need to get their game on quick.|
|12||9||Carolina||What a nice gift to start the season, they played SF and walked all over that moribund team. A good win against a bad opponent.|
|10||10||Atlanta||The Falcons had all they could handle from the BEARS and they barely eeked out a win. That says more about the issues Atlanta has then how good Chicago may be.|
|15||11||Denver||The Broncs had the game well in hand, their D got scorched late and then they snuck out on the tummy with a close win. If this represents the D then there are problems a mile above everyone else.|
|17||12||Baltimore||A great win for the Ravens. The D looked fierce and the O was solid. Can they keep this up is the question.|
|16||13||Tampa Bay||on a weather bye and this means no breaks rest of year so this will be a bad year for a team that was on the rise.|
|20||14||Detroit||The Lions looked like the same old sorry assed Lions for 45 min and then the most overpaid QB in America led another come from behind win. We will see how good they are as time goes by.|
|23||15||Philadelphia||Philly played a great game and looked solid on O and D. They are one of the few teams I saw that looked Legit.|
|9||16||Houston||Evidently the emotion of the week wore on them and they were flat on all aspects. They have short week and are starting a rookie QB. Good luck.|
|26||17||LA Rams||That was the week’s biggest blowout but we must temper our enthusiasm until they play like that against an NFL team.|
|24||18||Jacksonville||They had a great game against a team who didn’t seem to be there. You do have to be impressed by the Jag D. Seems what I saw coming in 2017 may have arrived in 2018.|
|13||19||Seattle||The smell in the North West isn’t fish, it’s the Hawk O line or lack there of. Unless they figure out how to block someone this team is in serious trouble.|
|14||20||Tennessee||Hunh. Dumb coach call #1 is the onside kick to start the year. And they lost it and let in a TD. It was pretty much over then. We will see if they have any of the ability the pundits think they do.|
|20||21||New Orleans||They were hung drawn and quartered by the Vikes. So much fot the vaunted improved D. The D still sucks.|
|19||22||Washington||You can’t turn the ball over a million times in a division game and expect to win. They need better discipline to start and maybe better O too.|
|30||23||Buffalo||A great game but they did beat the Jets who are doing all they can to lose em all. A nice win though.|
|25||24||LA Chargers||They had a slow start but gave their all and nearly stole a division win. A good effort in a loss.|
|27||25||Cleveland||They played a hard game and Kizer looked good. The D looked impressive. Can they get that effort for 60 is the question.|
|6||26||NY Giants||They had no O line and if they have no O without gloves then this team is in great trouble. The D got scorched too. I need to see them play better to have my preseason faith restored in any way shape or form.|
|22||27||Indianapolis||If they play as bad as they did in Week 1 in week 2 they will be on an express ride to 32. That was horrible.|
|28||28||Miami||on a weather bye and this team wasn’t very good to start with so this pretty much guts any chance they didn’t have to be a force in the AFC. (This was already gutted when they hired Jay fricking Cutler to QB them.)|
|21||29||Cincinnati||No offense and the D looked bad. They need to bounce back on Thursday or the coach’s ass is on fire.|
|29||30||San Francisco||What a terrible performance by a universally bad team. They are as bad as I thought they were.|
|31||31||Chicago||My BEARS gave a game effort and but for multiple drops they might have won this game but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades and North Korean Nukes. A loss is a loss.|
|32||32||NY Jets||This is the home of dumb coach decision #2 – down 2 scores late with a 4th and short near midfield what do they do? Punt and never get the ball back. I think they are intentionally trying to lose them all.|
|Thoughts, Comments, Questions, Arguments, Agreements? All welcome! As always I will be happy to take money, preferably tens and twenties!|
|Mr. N The BEARS Fan|
First thoughts – how stupid is Cleveland to cut Barnidge because they drafted a round 1 TE? Has Cleveland missed the whole 2 tight end set that has been in vogue and successful for the last half decade? The Jets showing that type of team is common in the bottom feeder world – they got Jamal Adams a super star Safety so they are getting rid of Calvin Pryor who was over matched in the QB Safety role but might have shone as a #2 under Adams but nope the Jets think you only need 1 safety. Reasons why teams like Cleveland the Jets just lose and lose and draft high and draft high.
Green Bay takes Kevin King CB and he will help a Pack secondary that has had issues *happily to a BEARS Fan* for the last few years. This will make them better.
Seattle trades to Jacksonville and Jags take Cam Robinson T. O line from college are very hard to see how they clearly transition to the pro game so it may take Robinson a while to get NFL ready but he will be a good one.
Seattle – Malik McDowell DT – another Seahawk D project not unlike the one they drafted a couple of years back. Frank Clark thanks Charles Davis Typical Hawk pick.
Chicago traded another pick because they are allergic to taking top talent and when they use a top pick they pick stupidly. Arizona has the pick and takes Budda Baker S when they mighta taken a QB but they got another good addition to what already is a great secondary.
Buffalo trades in to take Zay Jones WR – a bit of a reach for Buffalo but they must like how he fits into their receiving corps.
The LA Bolts take Forrest Lamp G The best interior lineman is now a Bolt protector. He will help keep Rivers upright while the QB cashes AARP checks. Good pick.
New York Jets take Marcus May S because as long as the sun rises in the East the Jets need help in their secondary. Question is which Safety will they trade or cut now because the Jets don’t like depth.
Carolina picks Curtis Samuel RB/WR and he will add depth to the receiver corps which lacks it.
Minnesota Vikings trade up and take Dalvin Cook RB – thank the good Lord they didn’t take the woman beating scum and they took a guy with super talent who hangs with bad dudes but maybe the cold air will keep him on the straight and narrow. Superb pick if they can babysit him in off hours.
New Orleans Saints take Marcus Williams S to work to give the woeful Saint D someone who can do something to stop the opposition from scoring.
Philadelphia Eagles pick Sidney Jones CB and he woulda been a top 20 but for a torn acl thingy and he will be back and he will be potentially a shutdown corner once healthy.
Rams are taking Gerald Everett TE and they lost a few receivers and never really have had any since Warner was their QB so this guy can catch some.
CHICAGO BEARS are actually picking someone – they take Adam Shaheen TE – nice St Jude moment there and a brave little BEARS Fan read the pick. Chicago has been lacking a great TE since they traded Olsen and if Shaheen can transition from small school to NFL then this big beast could be a good pick.
…now only comments on picks that illicit commentary from me….
Cincinnati Bengals took Joe Mixon RB and girl abuser, numerous times, violently argumentative with parking attendants. The entire State of Ohio and Michigan and Iowa and perhaps Indiana needs to start protesting at their mini camps and pre-season and regular season. Playing in the NFL is a privilege and not a right and this thug has given up the rights to the privilege and doesn’t deserve the chance. A pick that will resonate on the Bengal organization. Congrats you took a thug who can play. Guess if Aaron Hernandez was alive they might have traded for him.
The Skins took a good Bama LB and that will help that team, various lesser light d players are going off the board.
Cleveland finally drafts a QB and they take DeShone Kizer and he will need to grow and perhaps he can learn behind Kessler for a while and then they will potentially have a franchise QB in Cleveland for the first time in a VERY long time.
Lions grab Teez Tabor and he will add some talent to their D. The Lions get better now.
OakVegas took Obi the unpronounceable CB and he is tall and will give them a jolt and help that secondary that had issues get better
The Texans added LB Cunningham who slid because he doesn’t sack the QB but a solid LB who can just tackle and cover will fit in very well in Houston. He’s Vandy too.
Pittsburgh Steelers drafted a WR named Ju Ju and he will give them a solid 2 to play opposite AB and this will make the Steeler O even more dangerous. Great pick
Nice inciting of potential riots in Philly by Cowboy Drew Pearson
2nd round ends with Panthers taking a Tackle and they can use depth on that Panther line
The Saints take Alvin Kamara a first-round RB and that is a talent steel. The Saints are filling the team with RBs and me thinks if Kamara is who Mike Mayock says he is * I do believe what Mike says* then AP may not want to take a long-term lease in New Orleans because there may not be much work for an over the hill fading child beater with someone like Kamara and Ingram there.
Rams take WR Cooper Kupp and I feel like I know him having had him on NFLN every fricking week. He is a decent WR and will be a decent WR in LA with Goff if Goff can ever become an NFL QB.
Vikings took C/G Pat Elflein and he may not be all that but last year they were pulling people off the street to play O line so any help is good help. A good pick.
Cincy at 73 grabs DE Jordan Willis and he coulda been a first-round pick and he may not fully fit in as he is not a scumbag but he can play.
The Saints took Anzalone the LB and he woulda been higher picked if he didn’t have health issues. Good potential if healthy.
Denver takes a fast if fragile WR Carlos Henderson, he can be quick but can he be consistent.
New England Patriots finally make a pick at #83. One wondered if they would EVER pick but they do and they pick Derek Rivers DE a small school guy who can sack the QB and The Patriot Way will make him the most dangerous and this will make the Pats better of course.
Pats 2nd pick in 3 is Antonio Garcia T This kid could one day be a LT, he is a beast and will be a super addition to a line that needs help. This guy could be Solder’s replacement according to Mike Mayock the Draft God.
Chiefs take Kareem Hunt RB and if he brings all he did in college then there is another changing of the guard at RB in KC coming quick.
The Giants took QB Davis Webb and this guy is the perfect Eli backup as Eli is long in the tooth and Webb needs an Aaron Rodgers grooming period then he will take over. Superb pick for the G men.
Texans took good guy D’Onte Foreman who will be a big body RB who gets the short yardage and goal line job and keeps Lamar Miller healthy. Great spot for a good guy.
A lot of secondary additions late in the 3rd round a couple of team added big O line and D line.
Niners added a kid QB late C.J. Beathard who I guess they are hoping for a Dak Prescott like turn from.
An interesting if poorly run 2nd night of draft and it took a lot out of me for this so you are all pretty much on your own for the 4th to 7th rounds. Enjoy the rest of the draft and remember people like Brady and Sherman came in the late rounds so don’t sleep on the talent that comes late!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan
1st pick Cleveland = Myles Garrett DE – the unanimous first pick overall. He immediately makes their D better and it was a very un-Cleveland thing for them to do this but they made the right pick and landed a franchise D player.
2nd pick San Francisco = trade to Chicago
2nd pick Chicago BEARS = Mitchell Trubisky – and the BEARS just pissed away the opportunity to pick a franchise player. To trade 3 picks to pick this guy? He is 4 years away from being a starter. They could have had Jamal Adams, Solomon Thomas, Lattimore, Allen…omg as a BEARS *former nearly* fan this is just the worst pick they could make. I am so offended. My honest first reaction was ‘oh my f****** G**’. I am destitute and feel like my Bears just waved goodbye to any hope of winning more than 5 this year.
3rd pick San Francisco 49ers = Solomon Thomas DE – a superb pick, gives SF a powerful inside rush that they have been missing since retirement/drug/arrest etc. of the last few years. He will make the front 7 of the Niners legit once again and that will help them.
4th pick Jacksonville Jaguars = Leonard Fournette RB – evidently the Jags think they need a running back to help their sad sack QB. I thought they had RBs who could tote the rock. This guy could Zeke Elliott and that can take the heat off the QB and passing game. We will see if this can elevate a team that should already have elevated themselves.
5th pick Tennessee= Corey Davis WR – That is a REACH. They so needed to take one of the top great D guys and they went and got a solid WR. He will make a pedestrian receiver corps in Tennessee better but they could have taken franchise D at 5 and a WR at 18. It is a hmm pick.
6th pick NY Jets = Jamal Adams – He shoulda been a Bear. A superb pick for the Jets. They get a fantastic safety who will change the philosophy of the bad Jet secondary and make them good. A fantastic pick and now they look almost decent at secondary. Superb pick.
7th pick LA Chargers = Mike Williams WR – they need secondary help. Oh well. They drafted a good WR. This is the second good WR taken in the first 7 picks. That, by my count, means 3 of the first 7 are NOT franchise players. Teams 8 to 10 must be grinning now. He will provide Grandpa Rivers a good target and that could mean LAC (not Clippers) could score 6 more every other game. I don’t see this pick making them better than OakVegas.
8th pick Carolina = Christian McCaffery RB – a super safe pick that makes Cam Newton healthier and is a great addition. This little spark plug will do a lot aka young Reggie Bush and he will score running/catching/returning kicks. This makes a Panther team in need of talent better.
9th pick Cincinnati = John Ross WR – well another good WR gets drafted and at least 3 franchise D players are available and Cleveland will probably piss away their pick for a QB so the teams in the middle of the first round must be excited. Ross will find it hard to find a ball since Dalton only throws to AJ Green. A pick that makes them better on paper, if they throw the ball to him.
10th pick Buffalo = trades to KC = Patrick Mahomes II QB – well they do need a future for Alex Smith but this is a reach and Buffalo has dumped their shot at getting a franchise secondary player. This is a huge reach and the Chiefs may yet find a franchise QB here with this but I think they better buy Tums. KC didn’t need a lot of help to be good but best available might have been a better idea. Reach pick.
11th pick New Orleans = Marshon Lattimore CB was selected by the ‘New Orleans’ according to Goodell the twit. That the best corner in the draft fell to 11 makes the Saints secondary a real secondary and must make Ryan, Winston and Newton wonder about where their long balls may land. A superb shut down corner pick.
12th pick Cleveland – trades to Houston = DeShawn Watson QB – Houston wanted Tony Romo the half a clavicle QB but that didn’t happen so they now can have Savage battle Watson and the best man wins. With that D and a fair to middlin’ running game Watson might be able to survive as a day one starter. A need pick but may work for this team.
13th pick Arizona Cardinals = Haason Reddick LB – One of the best LB available and he makes the Cards already stout linebacking corps better. He will do good things: rushing, tackling and covering. A solid pick of a great young kid. He will excel in Arizona.
14th pick Philadelphia Eagles = Derek Barnett DE – he is one of the top pass rushers and he will help bring heat from the Eagles D to Eli and Kirk and Dak. Barnett will pound it and he is a legit pass rusher and this will make an Eagle D better. A good pick.
15th pick Indianapolis Colts = Malik Hooker S – A super pick for the Colts. They haven’t had a great safety since Superman in 2008. Hooker is a person like Ed Reed with great hands and super tackles. The Colts have now created a good secondary. Superb pick.
16th pick Baltimore Ravens = Marlon Humphry CB – the Ravens grabbed another good CB. The Ravens needed a good CB and now their secondary is getting better. A pretty good pick.
17th Washington Redskins = Jonathan Allen DE – this great player might have been a top 5 but he has shoulder injury issues. He would have been a super D player. If he is still healthy then the Skins have picked a super D player. Potentially amazing pick.
18th Tennessee Titans *2nd first round pick* – Adoree’ Jackson CB – a smaller *thanks Mike Mayock* corner who can still do the job. He can get to the ball and do the job. He will start day one in Tennessee and this makes the Titans better. In all, two good picks that make the Titans better than they were before tonight started.
19th Tampa Bay Bucs = O.J. Howard TE – what a super pick by Tampa. This gives a weapon loaded passing game on Tampa another fantastic weapon. They have an/a Olsen/Gronk kind of TE now and he will probably get 10 TDs in 2017. Fantastic pick.
20th Denver Broncos = Garett Bolles T – The Broncs have helped their young QBs with an addition to the O line. The Broncs have D and kinda running and youth at QB. The Tackle and his son have been drafted. A good pick for Denver.
21st Detroit Lions = Jarrad Davis LB – the Lions have picked a good LB. He could give the Lions a good tackler and a good pusher here and there. A pretty decent pick.
22nd Miami Dolphins = Charles Harris DE – Another good pass rusher here. Harris will learn with the other guys on the Fins and he will have a shot to knock Brady about. A solid pick that will make the front seven more fierce.
23rd pick New York Giants = Evan Engram TE – a kind of a funny pick that seems like they are picking a player just to poke another team behind them in the nose. They needed a good OL and there were two they could pick but they got another good TE. He will help them with good offense but this was a bit of an odd pick.
24th pick OakVegas Raiders = They added RB Marshawn Lynch so this is not so critical but they take Gareon Conley CB – they took a top 15 player who has clearly shown pretty bad judgement but maybe nothing else. He could be a super addition to their secondary and if the off the field headaches pass, he could add something to Oakland. A pretty good Oakland like pick.
25th pick Cleveland Browns = They traded way back to this spot and who in the ever loving whatsis will they pick… Jabrill Peppers DB/S/RB/little guy hard to figure out – he will bring a lot of energy but where to put him and what can he accomplish? Will he help the Browns woe begotten secondary? Will Cleveland know how to use him? He has talent but I have sincere doubts Cleveland can figure out how to get the max out of him.
26th pick Seattle Seahawks = trade to Atlanta *Seattle you needed O line you dumb asses* The Falcons take Takkarist McKinley DE/LB and he will help provide an other side of the line force to Beasley. A good pick that makes the Falcons tougher with a solid pass rush combo. Good pick. Superb touch bringing his late GrandMom’s pic to the stage. Methinks there was an F word on the stage but he has heart and fire and sometimes you have to be real.
27th pick Buffalo Bills = Tre’Davious White CB – Buffalo adds a corner who can play. They lost a lot of secondary and he will play it, if not amazingly. He can do the job but I do not know if that is the line you want for your top pick.
28th pick Dallas Cowboys = Taco Charlton DE – The Boys got a much-needed edge rusher. He is a decent player who can push it in and get towards the QB. He also seems clean off the field and that makes him head and shoulder ahead of his team mates in Dallas. Good pick.
29th pick Cleveland (who traded with the Packs to get this pick) – they take David Njoku TE – he is odds on #2 best TE and he will provide a force at TE that will have to combine with Barnyard. Cleveland needed a lot of help and they kind of had a TE and now they have 2 and they traded to get him. Ok.
30th pick Pittsburgh Steelers = TJ Watt – he is the little bro of JJ but he states he will make his own name and he will. He is deeply talented and can make a difference against the rush and pass. A tremendously good pick for the Steelers to add.
31st San Francisco 49ers (traded from Seattle) – Reuben Foster LB – a top 10 pick who slid and slid due to health issues. He, if healthy, can be a force inside. He can tackle and cover. The question is can he be healthy long term. Could be a great pick *if healthy*
32nd pick New Orleans Saints = Ryan Ramczyk T – A solid addition to the Saint line. This will help run and pass and he will be a solid body to work with. Good solid pick.
Round 2 and 3 thoughts will be tomorrow. Stay tuned.
Mr. N the BEARS Fan
Plenty of changes have come to the NFL with free agency. Latavius Murray is now the feature back of the Vikes and our resident Vikings Fan is over the moon! Glennon is the QB in Chicago and let me speak for every BEARS fan everywhere when I say anyone or anything is better than Cutler. Kendell Wright is an interesting WR for Chicago. Marshawn Lynch out of retirement to Oakland would be a story. If the Giants are paying J-P-P-one-hand all that cash then they expect more from him than I do.
Oh and the Pats seem primed to win again and Jerry is doing Romo right by stringing him along!
Thoughts? Tons other stuff has happened. Check out your fave NFL source for all the moves!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan
1. New England Patriots (1) – Michael Floyd went for the goal line on the 2nd first half TD like a drunken man charging towards an open bar. No doubt that New England knows the value of home field throughout this time. They are dominating in all aspects in the first half. The Pats never took their foot off the gas. They scored at will and blew away Miami. They sit at home in New England and wait for the first victim in the Division round.
2. Dallas Cowboys (2) – The Cowboys are keeping Dak in the game and if he gets hurt it will not be good for them. Dak got out alive and Romo tossed a TD. Butt Fumble tossed a pick. All seems right in the world for Big D so far. Dallas proved one thing in the second half. Mark Sanchez, the walking Butt Fumble, is a complete incompetent. It was said in the pregame that Sanchez sees himself as the long-term backup behind Dak. I see him as a long-term popcorn salesman in Jerry World. A meaningless loss.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (3) – Having issues getting offense going against the BROWNS. The Steeler D let RGIII march the field for a score. Is Pittsburgh really mailing this in using holiday stamps? Landry Jones is finding his inner preseason 2016 as he can’t really get anything going. He has managed one TD and they could still pull out a win but they need to try a little harder. The Steelers battled back and managed to tie the game and take it to OT. They looked down and out went for it and won. They will be tough with everyone trying in the playoffs.
4. Atlanta Falcons (5) – The greatest show on Georgian turf is tearing up the laughable excuse that is the Saints D. They I think trailed for a minute or two but now we wonder if they will put up another 50 burger. The Falcons scored early and often and used almost every weapon they had. They were up 25 and went into some deep full bore prevent. The pressure on Saint D stopped and the pressure on Saint O stopped and the points piled up against until Atlanta didn’t cover the spread. Hope someone had cash with the Saints as that last TD smelled like a Vegas score. It was a win for them.
5. Kansas City Chiefs (7) – Took KC a few minutes to get it going but boy did they get it going then. The D started getting golden turnovers and the O started to put up points and they have pulled ahead of the Chargers. A nice first half. Kansas City never let up and they used special teams to help ice this win. KC is deadly because they have strong O, D and special teams. They rarely make mistakes and they are well coached. They are #2 seed and have a bye. They have a slim chance of giving the Evil Empire a challenge when they play at the Death Star in New England on Conference Championship Weekend. I am just flat out assuming they will handle whoever crawls out of the Wild Card.
6. New York Giants (8) – A decent effort by a Giant team just going through the motions. They have managed only 10 points but that is enough with a D pitching a shutout. Can’t imagine the ones will play much in the second half so they may yet lose this game. The G-men rested some O but played the D and they got the golden turnovers and the O did just enough to win this game. May they have this kind of effort when they face Green Bay new week. A nice Giant like win.
7. Green Bay Packers (11) – The Packers came out a little slow and didn’t get the O working much in the first 30 minutes. Held to only 1 TD and one long FG they hadn’t really shown their stuff. It felt like standing under a snow-covered hill knowing the avalanche was going to fall as soon as someone sneezed. The second half was a different story. They outscored Detroit by eleven and the outcome was never in doubt. They ran the table and win the division. They haven’t really faced a decent squad in the last six weeks so next week will be the first real challenge since they lost 4 in a row. Will be an interesting wild card game Sunday.
8. Seattle Seahawks (12) – Slow start on O with little rush and no points to speak of. The D put its face into this game and got 2 key turnovers. The O put up points fast and they are leading and this game could be over now. The Seahawks fell to full on prevent and barely hung on for a very close and ugly win over a very bad Niner team. I don’t see much playoff life for this sad excuse for a team.
9. Houston Texans (6) – A very quiet start for Houston as they appear to have partied a bit too much last night like I did. Whatever plan the Texans had – get Savage reps as he preps for the Chiefs in the Wild card round – went splat with the concussion and now they just get to suffer under the leadership of one of the most highly paid and terrible QBs in NFL History. Well I don’t think anyone who has watched Houston play with Brock at QB this year was surprised by how ineffective Brock O was. The Texans went down with a sputter and are not exactly looking like a team who can win a wild card game next week. A bad loss.
10. Oakland Raiders (4) – I understand that Oakland has lost their QB but come on guys. With no O and D that can’t stop anyone this is ugly. If they don’t wake up they could be on the road and suffering in the playoffs. The Raiders just never got it going on O and couldn’t make any stops on D and they were destroyed. It was ugly and one has to think the poor Silver and Black will be one and done in the wild card round now.
11. Miami Dolphins (9) – For a team who had a ‘shot’ at moving up in wild card rank they seem happy to be blown out and stay in the 6th seed if the early going is any example. This Fin squad seems to be running head first into a buzz saw and this could end uglier than it has started. Dolphins never had a shot. They couldn’t stop NE O and they couldn’t score against NE D. A very ugly way to lose and enter the playoffs but they will face a tough Steeler team… anywho so I predict one and done.
12. Detroit Lions (13) – My oh my. This team just let the division slip away from them. They even had a lead for half this game but everyone including the popcorn dealers in the stands knew the Lions couldn’t hold it. They had the Pack down by 7 but let GB run the field in 30 seconds to make it only 4. They let in 3 easy TDs in the 2nd half and that was that. If they go to Seattle and get beat and go home it will be the end of one of the most humiliating collapses and I wonder if the coach and QB deserve to survive this collapse. A team going nowhere but down who had such great promise.
13. Tennessee Titans (14) – The Titans are off to an early lead in the meaningless bowl. Will be left to see how much heart the Titans have with a backup QB just 7 days or so after being eliminated. The Titans knocked the starting Texan QB out and now get to face Osweiler which means the Titans have this game in control now. Have to give Matt Cassel absolute credit he had more in him today that I thought he had left. He was able to work against a fairly game Texan D and he did enough to get them a win. A season that two weeks ago, had such hope ends with a win and possibly hope for 2017.
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (15) – Winston over throwing early and are trailing the Panthers. Follow that with a pick and the Bucs don’t look like a team with a mathematical shot at making the playoffs. They are the team allergic to making the playoffs. Not the inspired play of a team with heart. They even had a pick that was dropped clean. Makes one wonder what kind of clubhouse atmosphere this head coach has created in Tampa. Tampa battled and battled and barely held a lead late. Bur for stupidity on the part of the Panther coach they probably would have lost. They snuck out a win and are eliminated. They are building something here.
15. Arizona Cardinals (16) – Arizona’s depleted D has been able to handle all the Rams have. Carson Palmer is playing ok and they have a small lead. They should win this easily because even this team is better than LA. Arizona has been able to dominate on D and special teams and even with some O now and then. The game is well and holy over with more than 10 left in the 4th. Turnovers just made it uglier. Well played against a terrible team. Something to hang a hat on after a bad year.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (18) – The Bengals are moving it well against the still supposedly tough Raven D. Cincy is on the verge of putting the game away at the half. Totally in control early. The Bengals, gutted by injuries, were never challenged. They used backup RBs and TEs and DEs and CBs and simply dominated what has often been called a good Raven team. A fine win in a meaningless game.
17. Indianapolis Colts (22) – Totally flat and the Colts must have their off season plans and tickets in their suitcases already. The Colts are just playing rotten with turnovers, missed tackles and mistakes. The old second half Colts made an appearance. They battled on O and D and chipped away until they got it tied. They fell behind and then in a great effort marched the field and won. A superb win to end a hugely disappointing season. Perhaps Luck isn’t a total bum but their head coach may not survive this mess.
18. New Orleans Saints (17) – A team with nothing to play for and nothing much on D is getting schmucked vs Atlanta. With Brees doing what he can when he can get his hands on the ball the Saints are in danger of being totally blown out. I did hear from the broadcast that Dennis Allen is building a good D so it looks bright. Has anyone watched this Saint team be blown out constantly this year besides me? The Saints were down a ton and then put up a make Vegas happy 19 and lost by 6. It was another ugly loss for a team that DOESN’T HAVE DEFENSE.
19. Philadelphia Eagles (23) – Eagles are played decent D early. The Eagle D had no answer to Tony Romo but they could have thought he had retired already. They did pick off Butt Fumble but who hasn’t? They are tied in a game they should be dominating in. The Eagles took their sweet time but finally got ahead to stay in the 2nd half. A nice win for a team that was vastly overrated by most *not me* and they get another pretty high draft pick.
20. Minnesota Vikings (24) – Solid opening drive followed by a great red zone pick and the Vikes are in control early in this big meaningless game. The Vikings are getting turnovers and kicking Bear butt and this could be extremely ugly if they don’t fall to prevent. The Vikes simply sliced and diced the Bears with inspired D and end 8-8. The team could have been all that and was all not that in the end. I think they need a healthy Bridgewater and their O line needs help with health and depth. What a lost chance this season was.
21. Denver Broncos (27) – A great effort early by Denver on O and D. The cheating cheap shot Bronco D is playing like it can and getting away with it. They have poured in the points and are well in control at the half. Denver gave their all, both legal and illegal, for their retiring coach and blew out the Raiders. It was a nice win for a pretty crappy, overrated team.
22. New York Jets (30) – Starting a bum at QB has the Jets offense sputtering early. The Jets are living by the Fitz here. He is better than EJ Manuel but then again so am I and I haven’t thrown a ball since a nerf ball in 1994. The Jets were able to stop the Bills with some of their best D in months. They even piled on the points at a level not seen in months. Best game of the year by a team who has just tried hard to not try for the last 4 games or so. It was a win.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars (20) – The ‘resurgent’ Jag O is still alive this week. Jacksonville is finding something positive in the dregs of this nightmare season. Bortles is looking just a little like an NFL quarterback again. A pretty good first half. Well Jacksonville managed to live out their season in this game. They led and played well. The D played badly and let Indy in it. They drove for the lead and played bad D and lost. They have a ton of talent and need to find the right leader of a Head Coach to bring it all together.
24. Carolina Panthers (21) – Another solid effort so far by the Panthers to maybe put a positive spin on this lost season. The Panthers are playing hard and giving their all which shows a semblance of heart in the Panther uniform. Caaaaam managed to turn it over a ton *wipe me out in a fantasy consolation round* and still get the game close. They could have won this in OT with momentum but went for 2 and lost the game. The gambler. This is a very ugly way to end an UGLY season.
25. Buffalo Bills (19) – Starting a bum at QB has the Bills offense sputtering early. The Bills have no chance whatsoever with Manuel at QB and with McCoy injured. Me thinks this will not be the shining mark on Lynn’s CV that he might have hoped for. So, Manuel was so bad that the team put in Cardale Jones. Jones may have a future in Buffalo but tossing him in here with no reps and in a hopeless sitch was harsh. He could do nothing, Buffalo did nothing and they were stomped by a bad Jet team to end their year. If they follow through getting rid of Tyrod Taylor, then this team may be circling the bowl for the rest of the decade.
26. San Francisco 49ers (25) – San Fran got off to another fast start and had a nice lead over the Seahawks. Then they decided to start turning the ball over and Turnovers are Gold. This team is no way good enough to win and turn it over. They have allowed a ton of points late in the first half and have a long road ahead of them now. San Fran went hard against prevent and made it very close. I give them credit to giving Chip and the GM something to remember fondly as they clear out their offices.
27. Baltimore Ravens (26) – Not much effort from Baltimore D to start. The Ravens can’t get anything going on O and this is making it a very long day so far. The Ravens could muster very little in way of offense and they were beaten like a bad dog on D several times. A team that once had playoffs in their grasp end with a fitting splat. They were not as good as people thought and they are just as bad as they looked today.
28. Cleveland Browns (28) – A good start for Cleveland on O and D and that isn’t so unusual. Can they do it for more than 15 or 20 minutes is the question. The Browns have played another good 30 minutes give or take the RGIII pick. Now do they have 30 minutes more in them on the first day of 2017? Only Cleveland can lose a lead, have the ball inside the 5 to win it and fumble. They took a lead in OT and let in a TD to lose. They are 1-15 and my do they need a TON of help. Cleveland, you are once more …on the clock and for the love of Mike DON’T TRADE THE PICK. PICK someone.
29. San Diego Chargers (29) – San Diego really gave their all early and took an early lead. They turned the ball over and let in a few and they are now trailing and it will be hard for this team to maintain their early effort as they have nothing at all to play for. The Bolts tried but didn’t have a chance to win with special teams issues and they let in TDs and missed chances and end their life as the Chargers in SD with another loss. Next stop new home, new coach, new identity.
30. Washington Redskins (10) – Well isn’t that interesting. Win and in. Simply beat a NYG team who has nothing to play for and you are in the playoffs. What does Washington do? They come out flat and allow a long TD and a FG and can manage no offense. What the hell is wrong with Washington? If they lose this game I would let Cousins go, fire the head coach, change the team nickname and move to Maryland and hide the fact they ever were Washington. They have 30 minutes to pull their heads out of their collective asses. The Redskins D played a pretty good game all game while the O played pretty bad. They did manage to make a small effort and got the game tied but it wasn’t enough. They let in a late 3 and then Cousins turned it over again and they lost. I cannot explain how utterly useless Washington is to have lost this game and eliminated themselves. I would use a steam cleaner and a fire hose and wash out the front office and the clubhouse. Can them all, I would want none of this group of losers on my team after this debacle.
31. Los Angeles Rams (31) – I don’t know how this terrible team got 21 points last week. They seem to have trouble getting 3 yards on a drive. They are in trouble when down by 7 and I am doubtful they can get another 6 unless it is against prevent. This team sucks. The team sucks on O to beat any other suckage they provide. They evidently had a fight with themselves in the walkway to the locker at the half. I think at this point if they are planning to demolish the Coliseum the may want to consider leaving the Rams in the building when they blow it up. A crushing, terrible loss.
32. Chicago BEARS (32) – The BEARS D is playing like it has all year. Bad. Then they tossed a 24k gold red zone pick. Sigh. The BEARS can’t turn it over and have any hope. Their D is just so porous this is a fifty-burger waiting to happen. The BEARS were whipped for 38 and turned it over a million times. They lost ugly and now have had the worst season Chicago has had in 29 years. What a fugly team and they need a so much help. It has to start with cutting/firing/dismissing/deleting Jay Cutler. Oh, and draft a pass rusher.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan
1. New England Patriots (1) – The Pats are totally dominating every facet of the game and this is the blowout everyone including Vegas, Santa, Rudolph and all the elves thought it would be. Ho Ho Ho what a blowout this was. A forty burger and was never in doubt. They are close to home field advantage now and just have to concentrate next week to seal it for sure.
2. Dallas Cowboys (2) – The Cowboys spent the first half trading scores with Detroit and as the game went to the halfway point it seemed like it could be anyone’s game. Then the second half started. Dallas D put a hard hit on Stafford and possibly addled him. The Cowboys then scored 3 unanswered TDs and blew out Detroit. This opens the door for Washington but they didn’t want to walk in it last week. A good win for a team that has clinched everything and needs to figure out if they want to risk much of their stars next week.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (3) – The Steeler seem to have been full of turkey, stuffing and possibly ham and glazed veggies as they started out slow. Like the Who’s down in whoville they started to grow. They found that having Bell score TDs was better than Boswell FGs and with a wink of an eye and nod to Antonio Brown up the chimney went Baltimore’s playoff hopes. A super exciting come from behind win when the Steeler D had some issues. The Steelers are in the playoffs!
4. Oakland Raiders (4) – The Raiders came storming out and dominated a bad Colt team in all phases and put the game away and neatly had it under control…until the sack. How can you be up 19 points and potentially have your season ruined? Have the MVP of league get wrapped up with a sack and hurt his leg. If Carr is done (and he is) so are the Silver and Black. McGloin is ok but he’s no Carr. A great but possibly season changing win.
5. Atlanta Falcons (6) – The Falcon O can do no wrong and is ripping the what used to be a good Panther D in many splendid ways. The Falcons D is getting it done. They have joined in the cheap shots on Caaaam but hey there are no calls for that so why not? The Falcons were never challenged. The D played a good game and the O was able to just score enough to never have this in doubt. A good win over a terrible team.
6. Houston Texans (8) – The Texans seemed to sleep through the first half on Christmas Night. They must have been full of turkey. They could muster very little against a game Bengal D and seemed destined to lose and keep the AFC South a mess. Then there was one blown coverage and they took a slim lead. One missed FG and they won and clinched! It was like an ugly Christmas Sweater but Houston will wear it proud as they have won the South.
7. Kansas City Chiefs (13) –Kansas City wasn’t very kind to Denver on Christmas night, this was never in doubt for a second. The Chief D destroyed the Bronco Hapless O and the Chief O was explosive. They beat down Denver every single way and clinched a playoff spot. The Chiefs put the cherry on top by using Dontari Poe and his slim 346 pounds to toss a TD against the “BRONCO D”. Let’s put this in our memory Poe tossed a TD against the ‘best secondary in football’ lol. KC wins.
8. New York Giants (5) – Last night in the pre-game the amiable Rich Eisen was trying to describe Eli Manning and his dual performance ability. He struggled for stating what we all know is ‘the girl on the hill’ syndrome. When She’s good she’s great and when she’s bad she’s awful. When Manning has played well the G-men win tons but alas when he sucks…lets go to the wretched product that is TNF. Eli proved once more that TURNOVERS ARE GOLD as he threw an early pick six that was the difference in the game. He added 2 more third down picks and was just terrible and the G-men lost and may yet make the playoffs but they are not a threat to anyone with Eli at QB.
9. Miami Dolphins (12) – A pretty good effort for 30 minutes. They have a good rush O going and Moore is just doing enough. The D is controlling Buffalo and they have a small lead. The Dolphins did all they could to win and lose. They pulled into a double-digit lead at least twice. Their D couldn’t stop Buffalo at all and even fell behind. A miracle late FG got them to OT and they ran on the back of Jay Ajayi and got a key win. They are in the playoffs and if they get Tannehill back they could make some small noise in the playoffs. A gutsy no quit win.
10. Washington Redskins (15) – The Redskins seem to have shaken off whatever affected them last week. The offense is running roughshod over the BEARS D and if their D can just keep its collective mind off what Santa is bringing then they should have this in hand. The game was never in doubt, as sure as Santa was coming down chimneys tonight Washington gift wrapped a 40 burger and won. Had they whupped a bad Carolina last week this game might have punched their playoff ticket but now they still have work to do and need help with this win.
11. Green Bay Packers (19) – The Packers are having a field day with Aaron Rodgers ripping the Vikes D with TDs by pass and even by run. Pretty Ok Pack D has them nicely out in the lead. The Packers were never slowed on O. Rodgers put up a ton and the D didn’t let in near enough to make this close. Now it comes down to week 17 versus Detroit. Altho the way the rest of the NFC is playing Green Bay may have a wild card sown up by Boxing Day.
12. Seattle Seahawks (17) – The Seattle Seahawks have been flat in so many ways today. They were unable to stop either pass or run and were knocked down into a hole. The Seahawks managed to battle back in the 2nd half and got some points going. The Hawk D didn’t make much of an effort in the same time frame and it seems that the Seahawks will lose and continue to crawl on their tummies into the playoffs. Seattle came all the way back but missed an extra point so it is tied. The vaunted Hawk D couldn’t make a late stop and they lost and finally it is Christmas Eve! *The Seahawks move up because they are in*
13. Detroit Lions (14) – For a while it looked like Detroit was going to be heard on Boxing day night. They matched Dallas point for point and looked legit. The second half brought a complete collapse on O and D. They never scored another point, they let in 21 and now they are hanging on by their fingertips to the playoffs. They face the surging Packers and I would bet dollars to donuts that Detroit will miss the playoffs and this will be one of the great collapses in NFL History. A bad loss.
14. Tennessee Titans (9) – The Titans are back to the ways of last week and started out very slow and are trailing a bad Jag team badly. If they can pull their collective head out of their ass, they could still win this game or they are throwing away their football playoff chances. Whatever playoff chances this team had went down with Mariota’s ankle. They lost badly to a very very very very bad Jag team and I am sticking a fork in them even if no one else does. The Titans are done.
15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (10) – One really has to think making the playoffs is allergic to most of the teams in the NFC. Tampa came out in a must win game and played flat on O and D and O and D. They fell behind. They never seem to really get close and when they got to within one possession they on side kicked and splat. Seems like Tampa just doesn’t want to make the playoffs and this loss will go a long way to putting a fork in them.
16. Arizona Cardinals (25) – A pretty good all-around effort by Arizona. Right from the stop the Cards were able to score with running and passing. They jumped up on Seattle and their D has made just enough stops to put them in good position to win this game. If the Cards can hold on they will have a moral victory. The Cards D couldn’t stop Seattle and now they are tied. A fast number of plays and the Card kicker actually hit a FG and they won. That was an ugly win.
17. New Orleans Saints (11) – The Saints are having a great day on O and are playing just enough D to be in control for most of this game. Brees has hit a ton of passes and they never had a real challenge. They have it in hand and with a bad Special teams call this game may be over. A good win for New Orleans but this is really too little too late for the Saints who are done.
18. Cincinnati Bengals (16) – The Bengals D continued its eliminated from the playoffs resurgence. They are much like a baseball team who plays well once knocked out. The Bengals shut down the Texans for most of the game and Cincy got just enough to have a lead. Then Adam PACMAN strip club shooting big mouth scumbag who should be banned from the NFL Jones blew a coverage and let in the TD that put them behind. Then their kicker did his best Blair Walsh imitation and missed the game winner and they lost. This could be it for Marvin Lewis and Dalton should go with him.
19. Buffalo Bills (18) – The Bills have been beaten twice for TDs in the first half and have only managed 7 to answer. The Bills need the D to tighten up or they are not going to threaten Miami much. The Bills fell behind a lot but never gave up. They battled back to take a lead and managed to look like they would pull out a win. Then, their Head Coach didn’t call a time out in time. I have never seen a Head Coach screw that up. I have defended Ryan here for weeks but MY GOD that is about the only thing a Head Coach is solely in charge of and he screwed that up and eventually they lost. Ryan should be fired now. A terrible loss and they are eliminated. Ryan and Ryan are fired and now Taylor is benched and maybe out. I hope Chicago has Tyrod on a speed dial.
20. Jacksonville Jaguars (27) – A great start for Jacksonville. Bortles has been better in the first half then he has been in a few months. The D is playing solid again and they are nicely in the lead in a meaningless game for them. The Jags had their best offense day of 2016 and they even played good D too. They won this game going away and I guess they can take pride in this one although the season is pretty much a hole.
21. Carolina Panthers (20) – Caaam has had no luck but since it’s Christmas he has gifted Atlanta with golden turnovers. With no O and no D this game is rapidly on its way to a total blowout. The Panthers could get no real offense that mattered and their D couldn’t hold down Atlanta. I believe now finally all the talking heads in the NFL NETWORK can state clearly that the Panthers are ELIMINATED. That would be a gift to me.
22. Indianapolis Colts (21) – How bad is Indy? Watch the first half tape of this game. Luck tossed golden pick after golden pick. The Colts D couldn’t stop a fly farting. By the third quarter they were down by 19 when they luckily knocked out Oakland’s starting QB. With their opposition deflated and in prevent they were able to score a little and get it close but they lost and are ELIMINATED.
23. Philadelphia Eagles (28) – They got their All pro tackle Lane Johnson back from suspension and he added strength to a terrible O line. Wentz had a bit more time and was able to move the ball well. The Eagles played good solid D and got turnovers and the O scored just enough. It was a nice win for a terrible Eagles team who is just happy to play spoiler when they can now.
24. Minnesota Vikings (23) – The Vikings have no answer to Rodgers or Nelson or much of anything Green Bay tries. Bradford has made a couple of good throws and a couple of bad ones. They traded FG for TD and that will not win here and they are down a ton so it doesn’t look good. The Vikings D was just terrible today and were blown out by Green Bay. There was no hope whatsoever that Minnesota could score enough to keep up. An ugly loss and voila Minnesota is eliminated.
25. San Francisco 49ers (30) – San Fran must have shot their whole load in last week’s effort. They have been terrible on O and poor on D and are in the process of being defeated by a team that could barely walk out of their locker unescorted. A Christmas miracle occurred with the Niners finding some O and putting up 15 points in seconds and they took a slim lead. The D sealed it with a pick and then they had to kneel 3 times and punt to win but they did win.
26. Baltimore Ravens (7) – The Ravens, a kind of aboriginal Christmas symbol *thanks Northern Exposure* were playing the Grinch early and were beating up a Steeler team that didn’t seem to bring their D to this game. The vaunted Raven D then had issues stopping LeVeon Bell but that is a common ailment in the NFL. Then they made one good drive and took the lead and played one bad series of D and lost. They are ELIMINATED!
27. Denver Broncos (22) – Denver sucks. Denver is ELIMINATED. The Cheap shot cheating Denver D allowed a 70-yard TD and allowed a Dontari Poe TD toss. The Denver O sucks. The Denver team sucks. Denver is ELIMINATED.
28. Cleveland Browns (32) – A great first half for Cleveland. The O is hitting on both pass and run and the D has gotten turnovers. The Browns played a good 30 minutes and have a lead. Can they play another 30? The Browns D played hard for 60 and even they played well on special teams. RGIII played like crap and Kessler couldn’t do much but it was enough and they gutted out an ugly win. Merry Christmas Cleveland you are out of the 32nd slot.
29. San Diego Chargers (24) – I could write an encyclopedia on how hard it is for a team to play hard against a bad team. The Chargers D seems to have not realized they need to try to stop Cleveland. They are being whipped by an RGIII led O and that is worth coals in their stockings. They need to wake up or they are gifting a first win to the Browns. The Chargers were at their self-defeating best and made every effort to lose this game. In the end their kicker gave his all to lose and did it. They just lost to the rotten Cleveland Browns. I would be very happy, If I was San Diego, if this team will not just move out of town but PLEASE change the name. Humiliating.
30. New York Jets (26) – No Petty, dying by the Fitz, no D, no O. Talk about your Nightmare Before Christmas – Tim Burton should cast the Jets in the remake. This was scarier than a good Night of the Living Dead remake with Tony Todd. The Jets were terrible, are terrible and once again did enough to get their ill coach fired. Terrible loss.
31. Los Angeles Rams (29) – The Rams have been total crap for a month. Today, they have found a tiny amount of offense and have scored more points here than they scored in the last 3 or 4 weeks combined. They have also found some D. They aren’t allowing their customary 50 burger. It was going to be a Ram win but then the Ram D made its appearance. They somehow just folded up and let in 2 scores in a matter of seconds. Then the O tossed a pick and it seemed over. Then the interim head coach called 3 time outs on Kneel downs and forced time to expire on a punt. That was about the stupidest thing I have ever seen and still the Rams lose. What a terrible loss and pretty classless too.
32. Chicago BEARS (31) – Really poor D for most of the first half. It was a bad pick early that hamstrung the BEARS O. After a while Chicago got some O going and are managing to keep their head above water here but it may be too much to ask for the BEARS D to keep Washington off the scoreboard in the 2nd half. The BEARS D let in 40 again and they had FIVE picks. Talk about the Gold in a silver and gold Christmas. What a loss. The BEARS all deserve coal in their stockings.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
MR N The BEARS Fan
1. New England Patriots (1) – The Pats have been in control from the start here. They haven’t been able to throw much but the running game has been effective and consistent. Couple that with pretty good D that has handled the Broncos and that is a great recipe for a win. The Pats get a measure of revenge and win this game handily in Denver.
2. Dallas Cowboys (3) – The Cowboys found their legs on O and D finally. The Bucs were a tough challenge but Dak and Zeke could not be stopped. The D did the job when it had to and the Cowboys have righted a slightly sinking ship. Can they win out now is the question. A good win.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (5) – The Steelers are being manhandled by a lesser opponent and look terrible. They better find a half time speech or they are pissing away their advantage in the playoff race. Tomlin must have a Master’s at halftime speeches. He instilled some fire and boy that Steeler D came alive. They took over the game and the Steeler O got ii done and they won. Nicely done.
4. Oakland Raiders (6) – The Raiders started out their traditional slow method. Their D let in a long TD and then Carr and the boys had issues getting it going. This went on and on. They finally got 3 and then got an incredible TD *the review got it RIGHT* and they tied it. They then fell behind again and it got dicey for their fans and their stomachs! Well never fear the cardiac Silver and Black knew what to do. They couldn’t punch it in but they tied it and then they kicked another FG and the Raider D sealed it! The Raiders are in the playoffs for the first time in 14 years! Way to go Oakland! Superb heart stopping win!
5. New York Giants (8) – The Giants have brought the D in the first half and are ahead in a big battle in the swamps of Jersey. The Giants didn’t score much but they didn’t need much with that D. They scored early and scored late and shut down the Lions. An excellent win and the G-men are well in control of a wild card and still have a shot at the NFC East. Great win.
6. Atlanta Falcons (9) – The highest scoring offense in the NFL got a chance to play SF today. Let’s see how many ways Atlanta could score. Freeman over and over and over. Tons of yards tossed by Ryan and TDs there too. The Falcons put this game to bed early and then just piled it on. A nice win and keeps them in control in their battle with Tampa.
7. Baltimore Ravens (10) – The Ravens are getting all they can handle from the Eagles. Sometimes the Eagles are playing like crap but Baltimore matches it, crap for crap. They need to tighten it up and cut out the golden turnovers or they could lose this game. The Ravens put up a nice lead and then fell to prevent and held on for their dear life. They nearly blew the game but were gifted a win by Philly. This team is still alive but still not very good.
8. Houston Texans (11) – The Texans have had about as bad a start as possible. Osweiler did his best Matt Schaub impersonation but he doesn’t toss pick sixes just picks. He was booed out of a starting job and now Houston has gone Savage. They are getting pasted by the Jags…yes, the Jags. The Texans showed more heart than usual and Savage showed WAY more ability than Brock and they battled all the way back and won this game. This gawdwaful team still leads their division but now must win out to clinch. They seem to have a QB so they are a little more dangerous.
9. Tennessee Titans (17) – The Titans fell behind fast and are working from behind and will need to step up their D to have a shot in this tough road game. The Titans fell behind but never quit. They played better D in the 2nd half and the O was determined and kept picking away at the deficit. They brought it within 1 and went for 2 *what a pile of Mularkey that call was* and failed. All seemed lost but they got one more shot and won with a FG. Superb win and 2 more wins and they are in!
10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7) – The Bucs had their playoff hopes in their hands to start and couldn’t slay this demon. The Cowboys were just too much for the hard-playing Bucs and now they need to find another way to the playoffs. Lucky for them other teams in the NFC don’t seem too keen on the wild card either.
11. New Orleans Saints (16) – The Saints are who we know they are. There D is an afterthought. They can let in scores with the best of them. However, when Brees is on his game, they can score and score too. Brees has tossed tons of TDs and they have run for TDs and they outscored and crushed the Cards. A fun shootout win for the Saints.
12. Miami Dolphins (13) – The Fish made mincemeat out of the hapless Jets. Everything they did on O and D worked. It seemed like they were never challenged but that is only because their opposition never tried. A superb win that keeps them well alive in the volatile AFC Wild Card race.
13. Kansas City Chiefs (2) – The Chiefs have shown excellent O and good D and are giving Tennessee everything they can deal with. They have a lead and this is quite a battle so far. The Chiefs pulled ahead but then their QB gave up a golden turnover and the D couldn’t seal the deal. They were slowly caught and in the end, they couldn’t make the stop and down they went. A huge loss that opens up the West for Oakland again.
14. Detroit Lions (4) – The classic second half team is writing that script again. They can’t get it going in the first half and need to make a late surge. The Lions tried but they never were able to find any rhythm. The pass rush of the Giants just disrupted Stafford and he never found an answer. The D played pretty good but allowed 2 TDs too many. The late 4th Quarter Golden turnover ended it. What a bad loss as now they have opened the door for Green Bay and Detroit may not even make the playoffs now.
15. Washington Redskins (12) – The Redskins got a gift from Dallas and were in control of their playoff destiny. Just win out and they were in. So, what did they do? They went out and laid the biggest egg anyone has seen outside of an ostrich nest. What a terrible effort. They were destroyed by a Panther team with nothing to play for. Now they have to battle to make the playoffs and that was just embarrassing.
16. Cincinnati Bengals (14) – A bad Bengal team is outplaying the Steelers and have the game in control in the first half. The Bengals were flattened in the second half. They fell into self-defeating ways and gave up a lead and lost in ugly fashion. Kiss them formally goodbye. They are done with this loss.
17. Seattle Seahawks (19) – The Seahawks came in with the standard game plan, walk on the field and beat the Rams. They did and they did. It was over practically before the game started. Within a short period, the Rams were down and never had a shot. A pretty good win over a bad, bad team. Note the cheap head shot by Sherman was vicious and he is a punk and should be suspended.
18. Buffalo Bills (20) – The Bills took a while to get their mind on the game but now are comfortably blowing away the hapless Browns. The Bills never looked back. They ran, they ran with authority and played some decent d and won this game going away. A win for Buffalo. It won’t matter how many they win if the Bills fire Ryan as they will be destroying all the progress they are making. Don’t DO IT Buffalo. Give him some time!
19. Green Bay Packers (22) – The Packers have been able to over match all the BEARS could do BUT they actually fell behind in the first half. It is too much to hope that Green Bay can lose this game but I have hope. The Packers got the offense going and put the game well ahead. They are letting in a lot of prevent scores so the game is getting close. The Packers didn’t let anything stop them and used the last-minute left to put together a game winning drive. They will likely win the division now barring Detroit pulling their head out of their ass.
20. Carolina Panthers (25) – The Panthers played a solid game for 60 minutes and took down a team battling for playoffs. Caaaaaam was good and brutally hit with no calls. A solid albeit meaningless win for a team that really understands that they need a shutdown cornerback to be good.
21. Indianapolis Colts (26) – A bad Colt team is playing a great game. Solid D, good O and everything they are doing is turning out gold. Up by 24 they have this well in hand. The Colts are going to be in the unique position after this win of being possibly first in their division and still being a TERRIBLE Football team. A surprise blow out win.
22. Denver Broncos (18) – The Broncos have struggled with scoring for weeks and weeks. That struggle has continued today. They just can’t move the ball and their BEYOND UBER VAUNTED D has been pushed around by Pat running backs. With no O, they had no shot and down goes the Broncos and I can happily note they are OUT of the wild card spots in the AFC!!!!
23. Minnesota Vikings (21) – The Vikings needed to win out and get help to make the playoffs. They got AP the child beater back too. They are playing a bad Colt team. The upshot? HORRIBLE effort and they are down by 24 bloody points at the half. What the hell is going on here? The Vikes evidently didn’t like the uncertainty of being alive with help for the playoffs so they have taken that out of the conversation. The Vikings, destroyed by Indy are dead in the water. Well done. What an embarrassing loss.
24. San Diego Chargers (23) – The team with heart gave their all again today. They kept in the lead or tied for most of the match. The O had only a couple of good drives but the D was resplendent with superb effort on pass defense and rush. If not for a critical late game red zone turnover they might have stolen this win. As it was they lost another close one. Good, losing effort.
25. Arizona Cardinals (15) – The Cards have become a schitzo team on D. Last week the D looked so strong and helped them dominate. Today they have been fed a 40 burger and still look like they would like to eat a 50 burger. The Card O has been good but in a shootout, you have to match TD for TD and they didn’t ergo they lose. FYI everyone, if the Card hadn’t hit Brees with his HELMET, there wouldn’t have been a flag. A bad loss and can we finally say this team is done????
26. New York Jets (24) – OMG that was an awful effort part 2. They seem to really want their head coach fired. Poor Petty was like a man alone out there. As Joe Namath said, the way the Jets O line plays, no one should play QB in week 16. They were terrible and got hung, drawn and quartered. Another pitiful effort which questions if any of the quitters on this team have heart.
27. Jacksonville Jaguars (31) – Great play by the Jag D and with multiple picks and pressures they have gotten their best first half performance of the year. If they can keep it up they might even win a game. The Jaguars played super D and got up to a nice lead but…. being a young team not used to winning they didn’t know how to hold on. They slowly saw the lead disappear and they fell behind and with one last shot missed. Another loss but they tried hard today.
28. Philadelphia Eagles (28) – The refs called a penalty on the ‘wide guy’ playing for Philly. Is it appropriate to make fun of a receivers’ weight? The Eagles have made terrible mistakes but are still in this game. The Eagles D let in a few and they found themselves down but not out. Wentz gave his all and even when it seemed all was lost he drove for one more score and brought them to within the extra point for a tie. So, what did they do? Go for 2 and lost. You can almost spell stupid using the letters in Philadelphia Eagles – you just need a U and that U is their coach. Terrible loss.
29. Los Angeles Rams (29) – One can only hope that time will eventually create some talent on this team. When they got rid of the vets on the D it was over. On this day, the O could do nothing and the D could stop nothing and they lost. It was ugly but that is the last month of Ram football.
30. San Francisco 49ers (30) – SF can be given some credit for kinda trying here but that only goes so far. The Niner D never had any effect on Atlanta and were scorched by run and pass. Just a fine pasting and if not for the deplorable play of one team or two others today, this team would drop. Consider getting pasted their lucky day as Cleveland and CHICAGO are worse.
31. Chicago BEARS (27) – Some terrible D by Chicago and some flat O have combined with some ok D and some decent O and the Bears had a short lead for a bit. Can they keep it close? Highly doubtful. The BEARS fell well behind fast and couldn’t stop the Packer run. Late in the 4th they have scored a lot on prevent and have it close for a moment. Only the stupid BEARS D or lack thereof, allow a 60-yard pass to Jordy Nelson and then lose. Ridiculous. They had a shot to beat the Packers. I am ashamed.
32. Cleveland Browns (32) – Cleveland looked for about 10 minutes like they were going to compete but no. They were tied and now are buried and unlikely to get anything outside of a late garbage time score here. The Browns had a good ten minutes. They never had a chance in the other 50. They are so close to 0-16 that everyone in Cleveland can smell it. Another loss.
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
Mr. N The BEARS Fan