1. New England Patriots (1) – The Pats were stopped on first possession and that was it for Beli-Vader as he then drew up new ideas. They scored a TD on a long drive, they put in a kick return and the game was effectively over. It looked like they would cruise to a 15-point win but then they realized a lot of people had bet NE to cover so they kicked a late FG to cover the spread. Next up they host a potentially difficult opponent in Pitt but they have the Death Star to fall back on.
2. Green Bay Packers (6) – The Pack came roaring out and their D stopped the Cowboys for only a FG on opening drive. Rodgers then ran the field over and over and scored 3 TDs. A good note was that Rodgers was picked off so I don’t have to listen to ‘he hasn’t been picked off for 286 blah blahs anymore’. They were up 18 but let in a late TD with really bad secondary coverage. In the second half, they got it up to 28 and then their bad D let Dallas back in it and they gave up a tie. They battled back for a lead, lost that lead and then won it as time expired. They are on to Atlanta. One thing I can’t believe but know in my heart is true – if bloody Green Bay goes to the Super Bowl I will be cheering on Tom Brady, Darth Vader and the Death Star.
3. Pittsburgh Steelers (3) – Well Pittsburgh had to go on the road and then wait 8 hours while the NFL fiddled with tv ratings. That being said Coach Tomlin decided to redefine himself. He was mister go for it on fourth down all year. He cost his team a couple of wins with his penchant for going for it. Today he kicked field goals, not once – not twice but a record six times. A very Raider like way. The Steelers played pretty good D and moved the ball enough to get the necessary points. They won a heck of a battle. I don’t believe you have any chance of beating New England with only field goals. I also don’t believe Antonio Brown should have poked Darth Vader by calling them A**sholes. That will not be good for Pittsburgh in the Death Star. A good win and now good luck.
4. Atlanta Falcons (4) – Well that was some kind of game for Atlanta. Evidently it takes a few minutes for a team to wake up after a week off. They let in a TD and looked a bit tight on O. Then the gates opened and Atlanta’s O opened up and scored with tds by rushing and passing. The D woke up in the second half and started to whup on Seattle. They put the game out of reach and soundly thrashed a really weak Seahawk team and are on the way to the Conference Championship weekend. A great win but I still wonder if they can ‘hang’ with one of the NFL big boys. The D just doesn’t play on point consistently enough. They will need to step up their D game at least twice more to win it all.
5. Kansas City Chiefs (5) – The Chiefs played a strong game and set a record by outscoring an opponent by 2 TDS and losing. Their D managed to stop Pittsburgh every single time and they only let in field goals but that was enough for them to lose. They really needed to score 3 tds but could only manage 2. A fine year by KC and they will have a chance to build on this in what has to be the toughest division in football. Next year they will be the wild card while Oakland wins the division.
6. Dallas Cowboys (2) – Dallas came out flat and their D was flatter. They managed but 1 field goal to start and then they let in touchdown after touchdown after touchdown. Down 21-3 and nearing the end of the first half it appeared that rust was all over the Cowboys. They got a late 1st half TD and made it closer. They fell well behind in the 2nd half. Late in the game they battled and tied. They then let in a FG. Then they tied it. Then with just over 30 seconds left the sad sack excuse for a Cowboy D let my most hated QB move down the field and they let in a FG and lost. A grand season goes splat because in the end the Cowboy D sucks.
7. Seattle Seahawks (7) – The Seahawks came out fast and ran the field and took a lead. They held the lead until they gave up a safety and field goal. After that the lights went out. The ‘vaunted’ Seahawk D looked like the crap it is and was hung, drawn and quartered by the Falcon O. After falling down by a ton, they managed to score once or twice against prevent. Moment of the game was Doug Baldwin, after scoring a TD to make them only down by 16 instead of 23 with under 4 minutes left – he yelled at a Falcon defender ‘No chance in Hell’. Evidently Baldwin likes to trash talk while he is being ELIMINATED from the playoffs. Seattle had no chance in hell of winning the game at that point and they lost and they can go home and pout. A deserved loss.
8. Houston Texans (8) – The Texans stopped the first Pat drive and that was the high-water mark. They needed to play clean in all phases and letting in a long kick return TD sunk that game plan. You had 3 golden turnovers from Osweiler and the game plan is flushed down the toilet. Down 11 in the first quarter they were done and done. They got a TD but let in several and the season is over for Houston. I am glad the Texans are keeping O’Brien. It was not his fault that Osweiler was his QB so give him another year. Perhaps give him a full off season with Tom Savage at QB and get back Mr. Overpaid on D and see what happens.
9. New York Giants – Boat gate continues to resonate in NYC. I think Mike&Mike *ah I did enjoy that show* said it best about Odell Beckham Gloves – you want to be the best WR in the NFL, you can’t be a no-show in the biggest game of the year.
10. Oakland Raiders – I hear they are moving to Vegas but only after 2 more years in Oakland. Nothing wipes out home attendance like lame duck status for a team. That news coming out now has killed the Raiders home field until they get to Vegas.
11. Miami Dolphins –
12. Detroit Lions –
13. Tennessee Titans –
14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers –
15. Arizona Cardinals –
16. Cincinnati Bengals –
17. Indianapolis Colts – I hear that Indy tried hard to hire Jon Gruden but he refused. How supported must Pagano feel knowing they kept him only because the guy they really wanted said no.
18. New Orleans Saints –
19. Philadelphia Eagles –
20. Minnesota Vikings –
21. Denver Broncos – Hired a coach (Vance Joseph) and he is surrounding himself with veteran coaching talent. Having a D specialist as head coach must mean that Elway wants to take a hand in QB development.
22. New York Jets – Saw a draft preview that said Jets need a CB most of all. Ok, who the hell is playing QB for this team? They need a QB.
23. Jacksonville Jaguars – They kept Doug Marrone now as their permanent head coach. If his interim coaching was solely responsible for Bortles looking a little like an NFLer then maybe this is a good hire. Evidently early evidence is Tom Coughlin is sticking his nose in Marrone’s biscuits and that means life isn’t gravy for the Jag head coach.
24. Carolina Panthers –
25. Buffalo Bills – Hires Sean McDermott late of the Panther D that couldn’t stop anyone without Norman at CB to be their head coach. Uh huh.
26. San Francisco 49ers –
27. Baltimore Ravens –
28. Cleveland Browns –
29. Los Angeles Chargers – Fans egged the stadium offices, Rivers says he is numbed by the move to LA, Goodell doesn’t like it, they hired Anthony Lynn from Buffalo. Good luck LABOLTS, you will need it.
30. Washington Redskins –
31. Los Angeles Rams – Hired Sean McVay, the youngest coach ever in NFL. Um at least he is bringing in some talent who will be coaches in waiting if this job is too much for him.
32. Chicago BEARS –
There you have it, as always I would love it if someone just reads all the way through my ramblings and also will accept money, preferably tens and twenties! Any thoughts, comments, arguments or agreements are always welcome!
MR N The BEARS Fan